Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Looking For Factory Privacy Glass Darkness %

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
KrazyWhite Rich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Factory Privacy Glass Darkness %

i have a 2000 dodge dakota r/t club cab and i want to re-tint the front windows with matching tint. does anyone know the right % of tint that i need? it is either 20% or 35%. thanks in advance!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
scandal669
Veteran
Default RE: Looking For Factory Privacy Glass Darkness %

i would like to know this too...i know it isnt 20%, my last car had 20% and it was much darker than the factory tint on my truck...must be around 35% huh?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
KrazyWhite Rich

i think you're right. it probably is 35%. my cherokee is dark factory glass, more than likely 20%, but the dakota is lighter for sure. thanks for your input.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
KrazyWhite Rich

the truck got tinted yesterday. the factory tint is 20%. i waited until the sun was out today before i posted up to make sure.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i thought it was. how much did it cost you to get it done or did you do it yourself im thinking of getting it done or getting the laser cut pieces off of ebay and having my two buddys that are experiened with it doing it.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

actually, if you want to get technical its between 17-18 percent. depending on the brand of tint and whether it is made with a dye or small metal flakes, 20% is usually a tad lighter and 15% is usually a tad darker but sometimes you can hit the nail right on the head....

Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: pitkanen44flyers

thats what i thought it was. how much did it cost you to get it done or did you do it yourself im thinking of getting it done or getting the laser cut pieces off of ebay and having my two buddys that are experiened with it doing it.
i wouldnt do that. pay a little extra and get scratch resistant film that is made of small metal flakes rather than dye. it should last longer and wont fade. it also keeps more thermal heat out than films made with dye

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember one thing...

Window tint usually has a bluish hue, to it...

Where as factory smoke, doesn't...

Old 02-21-2008, 11:58 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've also heard that using cleaners with amonia i believe in them to prep the windows will cause it to turn purple very fast. is that true?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
scandal669
Veteran

yes thats true, never use anything with amonia in it. i always buy foaming glass cleaner that says right on the can "safe for tinted windows" and "contains no amonia"

for people that want to tint just the two side windows to match the rest of them,it usually costs between 30 and 50 bucks

to do all the windows it runs from 150-250, depending on the type of tint you want them to use

i also have to disagree with the factory tint being 20%. i had a car that i had 20% installed and it was way darker than the factory tint on my truck. plus, most states dont allow windows to be that dark so i doubt that dodge would put tinted windows on from the factory any darker than around 35%

i also wouldnt mess around with trying to do it yourself, you wont be happy with it. you will get air bubbles and fuzzy lines in it. it will look like you are looking thru a shower door in some spots, and it will probably peel off over a short period of time. i had my old car done with 3M tint at a shop and it lasted as long as i had the car, 7 years, and never turned blue or purple since i took real good care of it...have it professionally done

Quick Reply: Looking For Factory Privacy Glass Darkness %