Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Dakota Radio Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:23 PM
glennh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Radio Wiring

I bought a 96 Dakota, and when I bought it I knew the radio didn't work, but thought this was no big deal. So I bought a radio and a wiring harness and went to install it. On removing the old radio there are no wiring harnesses, as the wires have been cut off. Not sure what happened but my guess is that the previous owner installed a different radio and then had it stolen, and put the original back in the dash when he sold it. Does anyone have a wiring guide so I can tell which wire does what so I can install the new radio?

Glenn

Old 03-13-2004, 01:43 AM
93Stealth
Default RE: Dakota Radio Wiring

Have a couple of screen dumps, one of the Basic Radio wiring diagram and one of the Premium Radio diagram. Let me know if you would like them. Can't figure how to attach them here.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 PM
PAcowboy
Default RE: Dakota Radio Wiring

If you can't get a diagram, pull the speakers out and look at the wires going to them. Make a list such as "left speaker +green -green white stripe" (I made up those colors so don't wire it that way). then use a test light when the key is off, find the hot wire. This will be your constant (stores your presets, etc.). normally it's a yellow wire, but not always. Then normally there is a red or pink wire (also not always) this one you want to test with the test light with the key on. If it lights up only with the key on that is the accesory power wire. The new radio should be labled on what those wires are so just match em up to what you have deduced. You already know the black is gonna be the ground of course, so any extras that arent speaker wires, constant, or acces., you'll have to use process of elimination. But you have the right idea in finding a diagram first, this method is just a last resort. I've done the last resort on a lot of things a lot of times.

Quick Reply: Dakota Radio Wiring