Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

A Dakota Memorial

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
skaiter1007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dakota!

i would sure like to see a mid size truck (size of dakota/tacoma) that had good power like a good V8 or even a diesel, with solid front axle and locking diffs... i love to wheel!

if you know of some good mods for a 97 dakota i'm all ears!

-Justin

Attached Thumbnails A Dakota Memorial-airborne.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
seigell
Veteran
Default Goodbye to a good player

I had an '03 Dakota 4x4 CC which saw over 75K of roadtrips and hauling and towing and trailriding. It'd readily tow the small camper out for the weekend and then get us through the backroads and most 4x4 trails, while also serving the utility chores around house and cabin. And seating 4 comfortably enough to be a "people-mover".
I moved up to my '09 RAM when the toys got bigger, but I miss "the little guy". A good truck, the RAM is just too BIG for the backroads and trails that we enjoyed in the Dakota - so now I have to put an ATV in the bed to compensate.
Perhaps the Dakota did get "too big" and came into the shadow of the RAM, but a decent CrewCab is a big selling point these days, as its no longer legal nor cool to cram a small family into a front seat-only small pickup (although that's how I grew up - my first intro to trucks). Dropping out the "starter family" role further reduces the market share for a small truck. And a regular cab RAM with no-frills clocks in so cheap that there is little room for a "smaller brother" for the work truck fleets. So, that doesn't leave Dodge much room to stage a Dakota Comeback... Hmmm...
Rest In Peace Dakota, I remember mine fondly...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM
ColinSLC56
Amateur

1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2L V8 Magnum with the extended cab. My first vehicle, bought it about 6 months ago. It has about 147,000 miles on it. I got it for a cheap $3,400 plus taxes. The blue book on the truck was around $5,000 in excellent condition, as it is. All it needed was new weather stripping and a new, loving owner. Although I love bigger trucks, Dakotas will always have a place in my heart. Some day I hope to buy a 5.9L R/T and rebuild it. That is, until I move on to diesel (Cummins <3). A dream, that will hopefully some day come true.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
DakotaCC

My 01 Dak has been a great truck. Needed a bit more maintenance than I like, but I sure like the V8 power, 4WD and comfort. What I'd like to see happen is for Dodge or Jeep to release an update of the Scrambler from the late 70s/early 80s. Smaller than the Dak, Quad cab, small box, big V6 or small V8 power, and enough towing capacity to handle a MC/Snowmobile trailer-- sort of a mini toy-hauler but with decent off-road capability. Look at all the small trucks that grew big over the years-- Tacoma, Ranger, Dakota, etc. There has to be a market yet for a smaller truck still capable of light towing duty and real off-road use.

DakotaCC

Quick Reply: A Dakota Memorial