Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Time to degrease engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:45 AM
superdak05
|
Champion
Default Time to degrease engine

Alright people, what is the best degreaser in your opinion, or what have you used that had really good results,

Old 10-06-2013 | 01:35 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator

Years ago, I used to use Gunk and it worked great. But the last time I tried it, it didn't work nearly as well. I figured they probably changed the formula to something more environmentally friendly.

Lately, I've been using Super Clean, which isn't bad. But if your engine is super nasty, the only way to get it really clean is a hot pressure washer/steam cleaner.

Old 10-09-2013 | 12:37 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Most of the auto engine degreasers are pretty crappy. Tom's right about steam cleaning, but that's getting pretty tough too. Automotive grease and oil is hard on the municipal sewage system & pretty awful for the environment.

Simple Green works--let it soak overnight. LA Awesome Orange Degreaser from Dollar Tree works pretty well, too. 1/2 gallon for a buck. Same thing--soak the engine a couple of times with it and let it sit. You can agitate with a fiber scrubby or a brush--wear gloves tho. For the really stubborn, baked on stuff, I've used Easy Off oven cleaner--it will surface damage bare aluminum, tho. So don't let it sit very long. Any of the stuff that's strong enough to do anything is gonna be hard on your hands, eyes, lungs, etc. So take precautions.

Old 10-10-2013 | 05:32 AM
duke07
Professional

I've heard that Simple Green is not safe for aluminum parts since it can cause oxidation.

Old 10-10-2013 | 09:13 AM
The Ram Man 01
Rookie

I use Mean Green.. Can get it from General Dollar, Cheap. If they are out use Grease lighting. Both works good. Just spray it on , let it sit for a few min. then hose it off. Nice & clean no damage done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Time to degrease engine