Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Private Sale or CarMax Sale - 2000 Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 PM
dextersp1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Sale or CarMax Sale - 2000 Dakota?

I'm the original owner of a 2000 Dakota - (Dodge Dakota,2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport, 3.9L V-6 Automatic, Sports Plus Package 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip, 4.10 Gears, Trailer Tow Group, HD Package, LineX Spray in bed liner) with 210,000 miles on it.
I'm going to have to sell it because I need to tow a travel trailer.

This has been a great truck for me and has been well taken care of. There are only two items that a new owner would need to be concerned about.

Fluid seep from the transfer case - this is not even a drip. I've patched it up with some J-B Water Weld. I drove 4,000 miles and I couldn't even notice a drop in the fluid level. But in my garage you see some fluid on the floor.

Transmission leak - this also isn't a leak - I patched it up and added some Lucas Transmission fluid stop leak.
If you look underneath at the two items it looks like a mess but it works.

I wish I didn't have to get rid of it. It has a lot of miles still in it and it has a lot of character.

So, the question: Would I really get substantially more mone ($1,000 or so) from a private sale versus going to Carmax or trading it in?

I don't really want to go through the hassle of a private sale.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Carmax will inspect it and give you a price. Take it or leave it. Private sale, you will have to haggle. Choice is yours as to how much trouble you want to go through.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dextersp1
I'm the original owner of a 2000 Dakota - (Dodge Dakota,2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport, 3.9L V-6 Automatic, Sports Plus Package 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip, 4.10 Gears, Trailer Tow Group, HD Package, LineX Spray in bed liner) with 210,000 miles on it.
I'm going to have to sell it because I need to tow a travel trailer.

This has been a great truck for me and has been well taken care of. There are only two items that a new owner would need to be concerned about.

Fluid seep from the transfer case - this is not even a drip. I've patched it up with some J-B Water Weld. I drove 4,000 miles and I couldn't even notice a drop in the fluid level. But in my garage you see some fluid on the floor.

Transmission leak - this also isn't a leak - I patched it up and added some Lucas Transmission fluid stop leak.
If you look underneath at the two items it looks like a mess but it works.

I wish I didn't have to get rid of it. It has a lot of miles still in it and it has a lot of character.

So, the question: Would I really get substantially more mone ($1,000 or so) from a private sale versus going to Carmax or trading it in?

I don't really want to go through the hassle of a private sale.
Carmax will give you a no haggle price however not sure if they will offer much of anything on a 2000 model. That's 16 years old at this point...they usually only accept cars 10 or less for resale....they'll offer you a few hundred for salvage likely.

Your best bet is throw it on Craigslist and hope for the best....there's alot of dakota lovers out there and the trucks are well respected so it shouldn't be too hard of a sale.

Last edited by robertmee; 05-25-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:07 PM
dextersp1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Carmax will give you a no haggle price however not sure if they will offer much of anything on a 2000 model. That's 16 years old at this point...they usually only accept cars 10 or less for resale....they'll offer you a few hundred for salvage likely.

Your best bet is throw it on Craigslist and hope for the best....there's alot of dakota lovers out there and the trucks are well respected so it shouldn't be too hard of a sale.
I think you're right. I did a quick Kelly Blue Book on it and got a trade in range or $1,300 to 2,200 for a trade in and $3,000 for a private sale.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

CarMax won't want a 2000 model, most likely. Sell it private. You'll find someone who wants it. Hell if it was a 4.7L I would buy it hehe.

I just recently sold my 97 with 205K on it V-8, needed an A/C compressor. A guy came down from Indiana and bought it for $3,000. Dakotas in good condition sell well.

Quick Reply: Private Sale or CarMax Sale - 2000 Dakota?