Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

PCM Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Danrox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Failure?

Hello,
I have a 2002 Dakota 4.7L 4WD extended cab. My problem started with the ABS and Brake warning lights coming on simultaneously. Sometimes the lights would flash with the annoying chime almost every two seconds. I still drove it for a few days and now I get the "no bus" on the odometer, check engine, service 4wd, along with a more steady ABS and brake light. The gauges work intermittent which causes my low fuel light to come on and sometimes the check gauges light. I was able to get a code by cycling the key 3 times: P1698 which relates to low battery or PCM problems. I had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and a "VIN MISMATCH" was all could be pulled.
I tested the battery, cleaned the terminals, grounds, cleaned the PCM and TCM connections, traced many many wires, and cleaned the rear abs sensor. I'm military stationed in Germany and and there is no junkyard. Parts through the Chrysler dealer are very expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!