Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

loose steering---99 Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 10:58 PM
Vash108
Default loose steering---99 Dodge Dakota

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota sport, with a V6, automatic transmission and 4 wheel drive. It has about 90,000 miles on it. The steering has developed a good inch of play in either direction. I check all of the mechanical linkages and they aren’t loose. The looseness appears to be at the point where the steering column meets the "steering box." Is there something that I can adjust or tighten to take the looseness out of the steering wheel? A few years back I did have one of my ball joints replaced.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007 | 11:02 AM
peckens
Professional
Default RE: loose steering---99 Dodge Dakota

This wont help but my neighbor had a similar problem with his 87' silverado and he tried to tackle it himself. I dont know what he did but somehow after he put his steering wheel back on evertime he turned it, the horn would go off. He was stumped to he took it to a mechanic and everytime he made a turn the horn would go off, it was a noisy drive lol.

Old 03-01-2007 | 07:48 PM
English_Dakota
Default RE: loose steering---99 Dodge Dakota

I had a ton of play in my steering, turnout out to be a few things, first I replaced the tie rod ends and steering arms. that stopped alot of it.

It's common for the joints in the steering column to wear, get a friend to "wiggle" the steering wheel whilst you look at the column, bet the top joint is worn. Mine is, problem is I can't repair the joint and can't afford to buy a new shaft! lol.

Quick Reply: loose steering---99 Dodge Dakota