Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
vandal1sfv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

I'm new to the forum. I having some serious issues w/my87 ShelbyZ I took the A/C unit out . When I started it and attempted to drive my car, it was if I had lost all my power. So I pulled over I smelled something burning and my cataylic converter was glowingred hot. I figured that was my problem. So I removed the converter and placed a straight peice of pipe in it's place. To no avail my car started attempted to drive it again same deal however the glowing red issue wasn't there but the "SERIOUS" lack of power was! It was as if I was getting a delayed reaction when I gave it throttle.. I got it back into my shop and now it won't start at all.. And now it seems that I'm getting no gas thru thethrottle body..I don't have the means to get it to a mechanic nor do I have a $7,000.00 machine to give me the diagnostic read out..I need some help to pin-point the problem..I would appreciate anything thank you..

Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 AM
shelbydaytona91
Default RE: Car won't start

The turbocharged cars aren't throttle body injected but rather have mutli-port injection. As for not starting, it could be any number of things. What happens when you try to start the car? Does it crank? How many miles on it?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 AM
1989daytona
Rookie

Have you checked the turbo charger? On mine the wastegate arm came off so i had no boost and the car was seriously underpowered wouldnt hardley even move. And the exhaust manifold was glowing red hot. will the car even attepmt to start?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM
vandal1sfv

Yes the engine cranks but it doesn't seem like it getting spark or gas when I pump the throttle.. I replaced my distributor cap & wire same results..

I have 102,000 and some change... It just seems like a sensor or a timing problem but, Can my timing just all the sudden go bad? I don't know but I appreciate all replies and suggestions , I'm at the point the point that I will do anything to get my car back to normal ..Thank you

Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 PM
damageincracing
Professional

I'm gonna throw out an off the wall idea that seems to be overlooked quite a bit... Have you pulled the codes? Might give you a pretty good idea of where to start looking... Just a suggestion that could keep you from pulling out your hair or scratching your scalp until it bleeds while throwing parts at it hoping it might fix it...

Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 AM
shelbydaytona91

Another stupid question, you're timing belt didn't snap did it? While installing a new headgasket on my car, I had some how lost my timing because the belt lost tension. It wouldn't start at all with the timing bad, it would just crank. Cam timing shouldn't go bad unless your belt is so loose its skipping a bunch of teeth or its broken.

Its also possible your Hall Effect sensor went bad, if it throws a code it would be an 11 but it doesn't always.

Here is a repost from NAJ at the turbododge.com forums when my car wasn't starting under the same conditions as you:

"If the Controller does not see a Signal from the HEP (Hall Effect Pickup)during Cranking the ASD Relay will not be Energized and you will not recieve Power to the Fuel Pump,Injectors and Ign Coil.
Reading your Post I would go back and double check Cam Timing,Never Assume 1 or 2 Teeth will not allow the Vehicle to Start.
Bring # 1 Cylinder to TDC on Compression Stroke,be sure Timing Mark is at 0 then look thru the access hole in the Upper Timing Cover,the Hole in the Cam Sprocket should be at 12oclock Vertical with the Cyl Head/Valve Cover and the Dist.Rotor should be pointing at #1 Cyl.
Once you Are Sure All Basics are Correct and the vehicle will not Start see if any Fault Codes were set,Not only does it take Fuel,Air,Compression and Spark to Start and Run it Takes the Proper Amount at the Right Time.
FYI,After Market HEP's are usually more trouble than they are worth,a lot of Turbo Dodge'ers including myself have had numerous problems with them,this is one part if needed that is worth the extra expense to go Mopar.They are available online thru TD Vendors or at any Chrysler/Dodge Dealership."

Quick Reply: Car won't start