Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

rocker arm comes off at high RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Zenguitar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker arm comes off at high RPMs

A while ago, I asked you guys about my 89 Daytona ES when I had some issues and got some great help.....I appreciate it!

It turns out that the rocker arm gets smacked out of place at high rpms (Which is really only achievable in park, but that's a different question)
Any theories? Mine is that the springs lose their tension when they get hot enough and maybe I can replace the lifters and rockers while I'm at it.

If it's the cam, I'd be very concerned.....it looks really drawn out and I'd need someone with some more experience, Therefore, possibly more than I can afford.

Thanks for any help!!!
-Luc

Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
damageincracing
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rocker arm comes off at high RPMs

It could be a combination of a lot of things. The hydraulic lash adjuster could be losing pressure at high rpm, the cam could be worn (but you would notice that at low rpm as well), the spring could be weak and floating. I would start at the part that costs the least to replace: the lash adjusters. I picked up a complete set for mine for under $20 new. Rockers are relatively cheap, too. I put a set of roller rockers from a 90 2.5 turbo in mine with the stock cam and it made a difference (cam profile was the same, just the lobe was thinner). Throttle response is a little quicker. As for cams, search the junkyards, you can find some very good cams at some of those places, just make sure you measure the lobes and journals good and check for cracks.

Quick Reply: rocker arm comes off at high RPMs