Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Help me I'm gonna die!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:22 AM
b4fm73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me I'm gonna die!

OK now that I have someones attention. I am new to the thread so I hope some one can help me. I have a 1992 dodge daytona 2.5 litter 4 banger that is in decent shape. I replace the valve cover gaskets not too long ago, and to do so I was forced to remove the throttle linkage from the throttle body. Now I dont have an oil leak any more, but the throttle is sticking. The throttle sticks around 1200 rpm which is drivable but not fun in the snow ( it should be around 800 correct). The bad part is if I hit the gas hard and say it revs to 3500-4000 it will stick at no less than 3500 and then it revs itself up to redline. I dont know if the throttle springs are shot, if it is the linkage, or if I just need to clean the carb, but I just cant see any real problem. Any ideas on this. Thanks for helping.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help me I'm gonna die!

Check and clean the electrical connections to the throttle body sensors. Do the same with the cables, make sure they are operating smoothly and that they aren't binding up. You should also check for any codes.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
87Indy500
Veteran

I'm going to assume that your Daytona is a TBI and not Turbo....

Are you sure that you have the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) hooked up? If it is connected it may need cleaned or replaced. Also spray "some" WD-40 on the pivot points of the butterfly valve in the Throttle body. I've seen them get carbon build up before causing weird throttle issues, especially when it gets cold out...

Old 12-11-2004, 05:58 AM
b4fm73

Thanks alot guys! I think I figured it out, after a closer look, I belive all it was was carbon on the butterfly valve and an over streched spring that lost its tension. Again thanks for your help.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lack of return spring tension will easily cause your problem. I had a similar problem with my Roadrunner and it's throttle, but it was a fast idle cam that fell into place making the stop screw hit the larger part keeping the idle up.

Quick Reply: Help me I'm gonna die!