Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

At a loss with her Shelby Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
coolcat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post At a loss with her Shelby Z

Hey guys, thought I'd throw a post up see if I can get any better answers here. I have a 88 shelby z that I am trying to referb; I finally put it into a shop thinking they could figure out all the electrical problems that I was having. To start an idiot tow truck driver hooked the battery up backwards... Yeah it was wonderful. The shop that I put it into said they repaired all the after effects of that but four days later it over charged the battery. Put it back into the same shop and they said the voltage regulator on the alternator had gone out and wanted more money to fix something they missed. ( I told them where to go) So I bought a new alternator and replaced it with the same effect happening. It still over charges the battery. The new alternator was tested and it was fine. After doing some research it is looking like the idiot shop missed the fact that the voltage regulator is not in the alternator. So my questions to you guys are: Is this the case, is the voltage regulator a part of the engine control? Or are there any other ideas that anyone has that can be happening here? I am at a loss. Really don't want to give up on my Shelby but is sure is being a pain. I already rebuilt the engine and tranny so just doing the minor finishing touchs now.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM
damageincracing
Professional

The voltage regulator is in the smec (single module engine controller) Bad part is if it's bad, there aren't any places I know of that will attempt to fix it. See if you can find another one from places like front wheel drive performance or places like that. I also have an 88 Shelby Z (and an 85), mine's engine will be coming out in the spring for a rebuild...

Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

I have a mopar performance smec for a 1988 turbo 1 engine it may work on your turbo 2.

Quick Reply: At a loss with her Shelby Z