Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Wonking against a deadline - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Lazurus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonking against a deadline - Please Help

Hello folks - let me apologise up from for being "long winded" here - but this Daytona has become a major issue that i wish to get all the input i can about - even if i have to break it into several posts to get the history of what has been done so far out there

86 Daytona hatchback - with 2.2 turbo - MPI fuel system - gave a good price for it and pulled it out of a field in hopes of fixing it as a "daily driver" - this was last Dec - and i am now running on a deadline - that it must either be fixed or a dependable DD in place by the 24th of this month

History to date - would not run at all when i got it home - replaced starter - battery - timing belt & idler - dist cap - rotor - plugs and plug wires

got it cranked - but it would not stay running without flooding - hence - replaced fuel filter - and all 4 injectors - and pulled codes off the LM - 11 - 12 and 13 showing - had MAP sensor tested and it came back ok - so i cleared the codes and made a fresh start

reset timing at dist to 12 degree (factory spec) and car would crank and run at 1500 RMP idle - but when the throttle was "popped" - (floored and released) the car would die and flood again - the only way to get it to crank back is to hold the throttle wide open while turning it over - to clear the cylinders - and hope it catches hold before the battery dies - but if it does - it will only run at 500 RPM with the throttle wide open - and if released - the car will die again and start over - so - replaced MAP sensor - air filter - breather filter - muffler - fuel filter and plugs again - checked cat converter for flow - made no difference and shows no codes exept the all clear

this is the point i am currently at - and am abt ready to blow a gasket over this car lol - or sell it for what i have in it - its a good project car - but i dont have time for a project at this point - and money could get to be an issue as well shortly - hence the deadline

Thanks for letting me ramble - and thanks in advance for any ideas that could help

Old 03-10-2005, 06:48 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wonking against a deadline - Please Help

Checking the PCM for codes is the easiest and best first thing to do, but it only tells you if there is a problem within the electrical circuits, mainly the sensors. It cannot tell you if there are problems elsewhere. Is the turbocharger itself OK? Flooding is usually due to either a bad fuel pressure regulator or bad temperature sensor. If it is like my R/T was, if a sensor is unplugged or disconnected it will not turn the CEL on or throw a code. There are so many things that can be wrong with it on these engines.

Quick Reply: Wonking against a deadline - Please Help