Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

1988 Daytona timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM
88DaytonaBase
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Daytona timing

Hey guys i have a 88 daytona that i recently changed the head gasket on and im not sure how to set the timing, its been out in the snow and a bit of sand as you can see from the picture in my garage and im at a loss on how to set it up, i know theres a shroud i have to remove on the bottom, is there any tips i can get for this?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 AM
damageincracing
Professional
Default Timing

Ok, I know the post is a couple weeks old, but here goes... Pull the passenger wheel and the plastic insert so you can get to the crankshaft and intermediate shaft. Pull of the belts for the power steering, alternator, and a/c, and takes the pulleys off the crank. The timing covers come off easily by removing a few 10mm bolts. Once you have the crank, intermediate, and cam timing pulleys exposed, look for the timing marks on the crank and intermediate pulleys. They are little "dots" cast into the pulleys. Take a straight edge and turn these two pulleys until the "dots" line up through the centerlines of the shafts. the straight edge will go through the center of the crankshaft, then the "dot" on the pulley, then the "dot" on the intermediate shaft, then the center of the intermediate shaft. The cam pulley is easier. There are a couple holes in the pulley and a triangle on the pulley. The triangle goes up, and center the holes on the "split" on the bearing cap. Then you put the belt on without moving anything, tighten down the tensioner, turn the engine over a couple times by hand to make sure everything still lines up, and put everything back together. One trick a lot of people do is advance the cam one tooth by turning it clockwise ONE TOOTH before putting the belt on and locking it down. This doesn't give any more hp, but it moves the power band down into a more user friendly area, and idle is a little better. I've done this on both of my 2.2s, and my 2.5...

Almost forgot... Once you get it running, get a timing light and make sure your ignition timing is good... One of the first head gaskets I did on mine, I just put everything back together and didn't check ignition timing... It dogged down at about 2000 rpm until I set the timing...

Last edited by damageincracing; 03-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
88DaytonaBase

thanks the only thing i forgot to do when i replaced the head on the engine I forgot to set the cam timing, it has not be running since 92, so it might be rough lol, the triangle goes up, and replace the belt? i forgot to cover up the coil, the distributor cap, do you think that will affect it starting?

Quick Reply: 1988 Daytona timing