Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Dead Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:51 AM
nascar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Daytona

My '88 Shelby Z is in need of help. This car (2.2L automatic Turbo I) always ran fine until I went to start it and no-go. It is not getting any spark. Ignition coil has been swapped with a known working one, pick-up coil in the distributor has been replaced, SMEC has been changed out. Starter cranks engine very well, just won't fire up. Any guesses on what I should check or test? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:03 AM
MADDEN
Default RE: Dead Daytona

check car for codes.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:24 AM
nascar

Checked a long time ago. The only one that shows up is 12 (the one if you've disconnected the battery).

Thanks.

Still hoping someone out there has a solution.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Sneezer
Professional

Check your cap/rotor. I am not familiar with the turbo cars but something similar happend to mine. Good spark from the coil, engine cranked and turned over fine with the starter, but would not actually fire. Turned out the contacts in the cap were burned through. Swapped it out and no problems. Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 PM
TIImopar
Rookie

down behind the rad fan there are two big plugs going to the distributor , make sure both are connected good . mine did the same thing one day and i changed everything and my friend walked over and looked down and pushed the 2 plugs together and it started right up . i was pissed .

Old 09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
lady_croft69

Same thing happened to me. I dont know exactly the details of how he fixed it but my bf took a tube that runs to the heating/ac and ran into some side tube on the engine that was cracked. I'll have to talk to him to find out exactly what he did but it ran after that, just no heat in the car now!

ORIGINAL: nascar

My '88 Shelby Z is in need of help. This car (2.2L automatic Turbo I) always ran fine until I went to start it and no-go. It is not getting any spark. Ignition coil has been swapped with a known working one, pick-up coil in the distributor has been replaced, SMEC has been changed out. Starter cranks engine very well, just won't fire up. Any guesses on what I should check or test? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Dead Daytona