Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Is It the Battery or the Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Daytona_Waitress
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is It the Battery or the Starter?

My 92 Daytona has been having problems starting. I left it sitting somewhere for 2 weeks (I know, abuse!) and, to no surprise, it was dead when I came back. That was four days ago, and since I've had to jump-start it 5 or 6 times. It died when I left it for less than an hour. When it does start, the starter sounds weak, as though it's barely working and could die at any second. Once the car is started and running, it runs fine. Also, the lights and everything else work completely normally every time, so the battery is clearly not dead. However, jumping the car is the only way to make it start.
To give a little more background, I had a remote starting system put on it about 4 years ago, and have had a spastic electrical system every since. It used to be that I could count on the electrical to freak out (door chime going off, dash lights and interior lights flicking on and off) and kill the battery every time it rained. I've run through three batteries in about 3 years. I don't use the remote starter ever (except for the occasional accidental button push), but I haven't had the system taken off yet.
Fixes? Ideas? Anything is welcome.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Start off by checking connections. Otherwise it sounds like the battery needs charged or replaced.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Angus14

I don't understand what actually problem which you are facing. So its better to go some expert who can completly check you car and then tell you the best solution. because as i don't understand or anyone so they can give you some advice which can be harmful for your drive. i hope you understand what I am trying to say and sorry for my broken English.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the remote system pulled just because you say you have had problems since it was installed.

Second thing is your battery. You have to keep jumping it because the cranking power of the battery is gone. Once you get it started the alternator is keeping it running. To verify this, you can take it to any auto parts store and they will test oth battery and alternator for free. But first, get rid of the remote start. 3 batteries in as many years is bad. Maybe the remote system is constantly pulling power thus shortening the life of the battery.

Quick Reply: Is It the Battery or the Starter?