Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

fwd to a rwd

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
88DaytonaBase
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys im fixing a 88 Tona Base model, and i was wondering what is in the kit?? i know its a long mounted engine and tranny, but i was looking at it, and i know i can find parts around me here, but i dont know what is needed, alil help?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 AM
damageincracing
Professional

If you want a rwd conversion, try and track down exline on this site. He has a killer 92-93 Daytona with HIS OWN conversion. He had a website but it went down a few weeks ago. Everything was bolt or weld in with very few floor pan modifications (for trans and rear axle). I was going to buy his kit but I need to get a house where I can work on it first... LOL! I still plan on converting to a rwd 360 with a t56 trans (putting a 2.5 turbo and 520 trans in first- gotta get my fix).

BTW- If you can track him down or find the pictures of his cars (he has 2) look at the one where they are side by side and see if you can tell which one is the stock fwd v6 and which one has the rwd conversion... VERY HARD TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM
exline
Rookie

I updated the website and if you had one of the pages saved then that why it looked like it was down . its still there with some new pictures if you type the address in .exlinecustomauto.com
I am still around ,just buisy. Trying to get some new stuff ready for the chryslers at carlisle show this july. I will have a vendor space there this year with the daytona and some new conversion parts that i hope to have ready.
I just got the daytona back together form installing the 6 speed and new stainless exhaust that i made. Its working pretty good.

let me know if you all have any questions
kenny

Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
88DaytonaBase
Talking

Originally Posted by exline
I updated the website and if you had one of the pages saved then that why it looked like it was down . its still there with some new pictures if you type the address in .exlinecustomauto.com
I am still around ,just buisy. Trying to get some new stuff ready for the chryslers at carlisle show this july. I will have a vendor space there this year with the daytona and some new conversion parts that i hope to have ready.
I just got the daytona back together form installing the 6 speed and new stainless exhaust that i made. Its working pretty good.

let me know if you all have any questions
kenny

Hey man i Got a 2.2L daytona base, could you give me a list of the steps you took to convert if i could id love to put a dodge V6 or V8 in her with a 4 or 5 speed Manual shes a 3 speed auto lol im stoked that i read your reply there and i looked at your site BEAUTIFUL job on the tona, hope mine can look half as good as yours

Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
exline
Rookie

bassically you need the suspension crossmember, angine mount crossmember and transmission mount crossmember i make . that will take care of the motor ,transmission and front suspension you will need to make a new transmission and driveshaft tunnel. I use 2 x 3 tubing to make a new frame from the firewall back to the rear of the car. use ladder bars to set up the rear suspension.
thats the major details. there are a lot of smaller ones that need done but thats the biggest part.

anyone who gets to the chryslers at carlisle show this year, july 10-12 2009, i will have a disply and parts for sale for the conversions at space J27,J28

Last edited by exline; 06-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 AM
amiller88

Exline has the right idea, I'm glad he put something about it.
There are shops and people that know how to make the rwd conversion kit (probably better quality than the original Mopar due to new technology) or from what I hear and read it isnt too hard to do on your own with a little know how.
He is right about upgrading suspension too, thats where I get confused, I dont like messing with suspension. A 4 link in back would be simple but with the added wieght up front I would be slightly lost trying to get things right.
Also, for the rearend I have heard that a pinto, ranger, or smaller bronco axle is just about the right fit, but then again, who wants ford parts. I love my ford truck but still... really... cross breeding, that disgusts me.
As far as the questions that started this, a 440 and a 5speed, its possible, if your going to do that much work installing a 5 speed wont be much extra work. People are correct about going with a small block though, it is much lighter and better fitting. However, I plan on a 440 in my daytona as well, its a little extra but it is very possible. Good luck on your prjects, it would be great to see how they turn out.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 AM
amiller88

Ok, I should have looked at Exline's website first, he has all the info there, ever a mopar rearend.
On that, a different thought for Exline:
If I ever get my daytona projects going, I wish to drive insane ammounts of power to the rear, I was thinking to save weight and add strength about the possibility of a rear frame set up for 4 link made from chrome moly, possibly even a whole body frame like that. The two daytona dreams I have are either a highly powered 440 or 383, and if I get really creative, a turbo diesel tona. To give a slight idea of why I want to save weight while adding strength. Is that a reasonable thought? I know its possible, all things are possible (except slamming a revolving door) but is it reasonable and worth the extra time and money?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
exline
Rookie

i have been wanting to have available a frame kit for these cars for a while now and might finally get the time to do it. i was thinking of putting everything together in a kit for the frame rails to be replaced from the firewall back to the rear of the car so that all of the important measurements would all ready be done and you would just have to weld in the frame clip. you would just have to measure of of a few points on the car to set the frame in place to make it simple. the suspension components would all ready be welded to the frame, also the spring and shock mounts and fuel tank mounts if you wanted.
I will post it on the web site if i do get something like that together.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
mr.318
Rookie

Check this site out, they have the kit.to go rearwheel drive, You got to use a e-body rearend and a dakota rack, Lot of info. looks to coastley to me there prices are not bad, just all the other stuff you''ll need www.exlinecustomauto.com

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
and003
Default Chassis Suggestion

Has anyone thought of using a custom chassis from either Art Morrison or the Roadster Shop to convert a Daytona to RWD? I saw an article about someone using an Art Morrison chassis to turn a 1971 Chevy Vega into a Pro Touring car, so I wondered if a similar approach could be applied to a Daytona or Laser.