Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Home built PC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home built PC Problems

My father in law built us this computer for Christmas two years ago. It is now starting to take a crap. First off, I keep getting this window on my screen that my version of windows didn't pass verification. So now I got this Icon on my tool bar that I can't get off. The only way to get rid of it seems to buy a genuine copy of window XP. I don't want to do that. Also I don't recieve updates anymore because of this.

The next problem I have is that my computer just turns off. I can't turn it back on until I unplug it from the wall for about 10 minutes. When I turn it back on and it starts to reboot, the fan sounds like it's rubbing against something.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Home built PC Problems

well, i cannot help your GAV problem as you have a copy and not a genuine version of XP (if you had legitCD, no problems).

however your other problem is a failing power supply unit, and requires replacing. I had the same problem recently happen a couple weeks ago and replacing the PSU fixed it.

if you want to be sure it is the PSU, take it out open the PSU up and look at all the resistors, caps, etc, look for any leaking caps or split resistors (which mine was).

fan rubbing sound, could be bearings, .. replacing the PSU will fix this problem as well. unless its coming from one of the other multiple fans inside the case, then replacing just that fan will eliminate the noise.

again, the XP problem is due to you updating, and accepting the genuine verification update, which in turn screwed you.

good luck.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 AM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home built PC Problems

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Home built PC Problems