Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Ok....anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok....anyone have any ideas?

I am having some computer problems with a new hardware install. Now I have done this probably 4 times now and never had this type of problem before. Here is what I purchased that is brand new:
-pentium D dual core cpu @3.2ghz
-gigabyte mb
-ddr2 800 (2 1gb sticks)
-256mb pci express video card

Old stuff:
-1 sata hard drive ~300gb
-1 ata hard drive ~150gb
-DVD +RW Drive

Well I got that all installed earlier and I turned on my computer and it was working, but it said "input not supported" if I remember correctly. So I thought...WTF! Well it continued to run even with this message scrolling across the screen. So it was almost into windows and I happened to look at the side of case because I have a window, well the cpu fan was spinning then stopping and so were case fans. Okay, so I thought...well the power supply I was using is about a year or so old. It probably doesn't have enough power for all this power hungry stuff. So I bought a new one and hooked everything up. Powered it up and it is doing the exact same thing. WTF. Am I a complete dumbass and forgot to hook something up? I went through the mb instructions again to verify that I hooked everything up but I didn't come across anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:44 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ok....anyone have any ideas?

Its okay...I got it working now. I must have talked to the engineer of the board on tech support because damn, this guy knew everything. I asked him probably a half dozen questions and he knew what I was talking about and what caused it and what I needed to do in order to figure out what was not working properly. Turns out the motherboard I bought has some smart fan or something on it that only runs the cpu fan when it needs to run (gets hot). The case fan apparently is drawing too much power to be hooked up on the motherboard, so I unplugged it. Will plug into power source to get juice. Input not supported I got rid of in windows after I fought the civil war with it installing drivers. It seems to be running quite well now. Still upgrading though. Woot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok....anyone have any ideas?