Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

VISTA help.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VISTA help.......

well im new to the computer help section.... i have a hp slimline s7700 with vista (POS) and about every two weeks i have to do a system restore, because:
1. The computerwill lose allsound. The drivers all say they are working, i've tried updating and reinstalling them, in the right corner by the time where the speaker is, it says "the audio service is not running" but in devices it says it is fine?????

2. Internet explorer takes about 5 minutes to open

3. Some Users on the computer cannot even log in to thier side ( i have 3 users)

4. ITS IS SLOW AS ****!!!!

When i do a system restore all is well for a few weeks...
I have been on the phone with HP and Microsoft 3-4 time for 3-4 hours each time....... thier conclusion is that i need to completely format the computer and reinstall windows...... motherfu**ers.... are they going to pay for my time and the dvd's to back up my documents because they sold me and 10 million other people this POS operating system???Just dont know what to do anymore..... i do have a lot of pictures and music but no viruses, i have scanned with AVG and CA's e-trust.... please help me or i am throwing out my window!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: VISTA help.......

Howmuch memory do you have installed?

Dusty

Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I own the same PC with Vista as well. It was slow and **** until I upgraded the memory to 2gig. I haven't had the issues that you are having other than some incompatibility with software and hardware. Your problem sounds like it might be in teh Windows Automatic Updates. I would try and do a restore to get it working again, adn then disable the automatic update feature on ALL of your programs that update with any regularity. JAVA has been a mighty pain in the *** for some people.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Vista by itself requires 500MB of memory, if you have that much in your computer, it leaves very little to be used for other apps....

Dusty

Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: NHARINTON

well im new to the computer help section.... i have a hp slimline s7700 with vista (POS) and about every two weeks i have to do a system restore, because:
1. The computerwill lose allsound. The drivers all say they are working, i've tried updating and reinstalling them, in the right corner by the time where the speaker is, it says "the audio service is not running" but in devices it says it is fine?????

2. Internet explorer takes about 5 minutes to open

3. Some Users on the computer cannot even log in to thier side ( i have 3 users)

4. ITS IS SLOW AS ****!!!!

When i do a system restore all is well for a few weeks...
I have been on the phone with HP and Microsoft 3-4 time for 3-4 hours each time....... thier conclusion is that i need to completely format the computer and reinstall windows...... motherfu**ers.... are they going to pay for my time and the dvd's to back up my documents because they sold me and 10 million other people this POS operating system???Just dont know what to do anymore..... i do have a lot of pictures and music but no viruses, i have scanned with AVG and CA's e-trust.... please help me or i am throwing out my window!!!!

Well, I hate to burst your bubble there bud.....but two things that cause all major hell with Vista are low end video cards and lack of memory. Sounds like you got it in bunches.

1.) If your Users cant login, thats a password/account issue. Has zero to do with the operating system unless its been compromised.

2.) If your IE takes 5 min to load, thats not Vista, that's most likely a corrupted file, registry key, or a damaged software component in Windows.

What it truly sounds like is that the original load was crap and the system restore is fubar'd. The best answer is a complete wipe of your system and a fresh install. If it was me, I'd personally go back and demand some sort of help/free compensation from the place you bought it. There's no reason you should be dealing with that kind of issue on a brand new laptop or desktop.

I run a dual boot between Windows XP Professional SP2 &Windows Vista Ultimate, and I beta testedVista as well. I've had very little in the way of issues except software incompatiability and lack of gaming support. The operating system while huge, is actually a very good OS if equipped right. People seem to forget that both Windows 2000 and Windows XP went thru the EXACT same problems when they came out.

Lastly, using your PC as a sole backup point is STUPID in this day and age. Buy an external harddrive and do a dual backup. You can pick up a 500gb external for less then $300 bucks. You can get a 500gb Western Digital HDD for less then $150. Buy a custom case for about $50 and there ya go.

Computers are what I do for a living, and the problem you have is fixable.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Ben D.
Champion

not to mention system restore ****s up things more than you probably had to begin with. it all sounds just like what devils said. and it also sounda like you made it worse by doing all the damn system restores and uninstalling and reinstalling everything when it don't work. most of the time whne sound cuts out all that needs to be done is to disable and reenable the drivers. don't complain because you didn't get it and got mad and just started doing all sorts of things. also if you only ahve 1 gig or less ram on vista then god help you ur a goner. also if you run a crummy vid card same deal. here are my specs of my pc that runs vista ultimate 64 bit without a problem and shreds games without a problem too
my Rig
NZXT apollo gaming case (blue)
Asus M2n Sli Deluxe mobo
AMD athlon 64 x2 5600+
Thermaltake max orb cooling system
600 watt SLI approved PSU
2x2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 xtreme 800 mhz pc6400
18x Sata DVDRW
eVGA 320 mb 8800 GTS graphics card
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
3dmark06 score 8400 before OCing[/align][/align][/align]I agrree with all that devils said and second reinstalling the OS because it's most likely so fubard right now it's beyond trying to play with and fix.[/align]

Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 AM
wyattc329
Veteran

I was having this problem with a PC I bought from dell. I did a low level format of the hard disk... multiple times.... then reinstalled vista myself, been up and running fine since june 07.

Intel Core Duo2 2.4ghz
4 Gigs of RAM
1.2 Terabytes of storage
Vista Ultimate

Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

Sorry just was thier was all thies responses, its been alot better so far but now all.... i was going to do a full reformat but the damn thing didnt come with the c/d to reinstall, so i just have never bothered, my wife just deals with it and i just use my work computer... anyone have the c/d on file that they can e-mail me??

By the way... i just get angry when you buy a new computer and have to work on it this much.... i mean its new.... when i buy a new car i dont expect it to break down you know??

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I hear ya. My first experience with Vista was a disaster thanks to the ****ty computer that came with it. I learned my (expensive) lesson...........

Dusty

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional

I had Vista, deleted it and went back to XP Pro, it runs alot faster now..and everything works...

Quick Reply: VISTA help.......