Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Power supply

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 AM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power supply

I think my power supply is going. I have a monitor on my pc that watches temps and fan speeds. Last night my power supply fan started spiking real high to nothing. It's to early for me to take it aprt yet. Everyone's still sleeping. Maybe it's just dirty. I cleaned it not to long ago. What do you guys think?
Just a little history. I have built 3 pc's mine, my parents and my sister's. I'm not an expert. I just know and understand enough to get by. And I've never had a part fail, yet...

Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 AM
moparmutt
Veteran
Default RE: Power supply

I forgot to mention that the voltage was stable.

Well... I took it apart and it's pretty clean. It's an antec(sp?) 350 watt. I have a spare cheap 300 watt that I could try. I have 2 hard drives, a floppy, a dvd burner and a dvd drive. Would 300 watts be enough? I most likely need to get a better one.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:53 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Your PS on a low end computer would be ok, but you also have to look into the motherboard and any other componants that you have such as gaming cards, audio cards, wireless cards, etc. They are all going to draw power. Even the mouse and the keyboard. Need a little more info on your whole setup. If you built the computer and used an aftermarket motherboard, it should have in the instructions, the needed power supply to run its best.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:24 PM
moparmutt
Veteran

AMD 64 4000+
Asus board can't remember the model, sound is integrated.
2x 512 RAM
2x 80 gig hard drives striped
Geforce fx 5200
DVD burner
DVD player
a floppy drive. Never use it.
TV tuner card
wireless keybourd and mouse

I think that's it. I went down to the local PC store and bought a 400 watt supply. It doesn't have the wire to monitor the fan speed of it. But I'm back up and running.
I wanted a gaming rig, but I hardly ever play them.

Quick Reply: Power supply