Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

WHY IS SITE SO FRICKING SLOOOOO

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHY IS SITE SO FRICKING SLOOOOO

I am on other forums and other pages with far more data loading than this one and I have the same issue with the pages... the top frame loads fast, then the area with the different threads load and then the ads... its all the additional adds that are slowing the pages down... all of the forum pages. Ebay has been doing the same thing ever since they overloaded it with all of the little ads everywhere.

In fact the only two sites I really have the issue with is this one and eBay. Pretty much all the other sites I visit are pretty darn fast and I am using the 6+att pro dsl.

I can have 4 computers and my PS3 going all at the same time and I have no bandwidth issues. I think alot of it has to do with most ads not being just simple animated gifs anymore,they are scripting of some sort.

**add**

Or worse is that they might still be gifs but they are having to beloaded from more than one page away, so we have to wait for the ads to load from google, which pulls them from somewhere else. And being that they are placed somewhere up in the page it stallsin loading the data we want to see while waiting to pull down the ads first.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the banners have nothing to do with it...they are setup to be the last thing to load, and theyre smaller file sizes than they were before...plus, there are less of them than there were before.

the problem is that i cannot go to the server people and say "this site is too slow", and they will say "compared to what?"...and thats the thing...there is no magical statistic about how fast this page loads. i cant say "df loads at 4mph while ebay loads at 10mph"...the site loads error free for me, so i cant even describe it to them, but i think that a great deal of this problem is suggestive reasoning.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can compare it to is how it used to load... which was alot faster page by page than it does now. What has changed now from what it was say... at the end of last year or so? When it did load faster?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

Just as slow with FireFox. I'm guessing it's the time it takes the moderators to read the posts and apply their censorship.
Was this intended to be some sort of joke?
Not at all. I posted an example ofa much-faster site and the name was censored. No other forum site I visit is as slow as this one. I applied some "tweaks" mentioned in another thread and they worked pretty well -- except for here. Obviously I'm not the only one having the problem... There are many threads with the same subject. It isn't reasonable to ask users to change settings or spend time running "traceroutes" just to fix the one problem.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are site names that are filtered here because we have had some issue with them at some point. if you go to those sites, our site name is typically filtered there as well. It is usually because the site in question has gotten caught spamming for members.

you honestly think that the moderators sift through the posts to find links to other sites, and remove them? In some cases, a mod may remove a link, but thats rare. It is a software filter, because many of these tiny sites dont know how to build their membership without spamming other sites.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

the banners have nothing to do with it...they are setup to be the last thing to load, and theyre smaller file sizes than they were before...plus, there are less of them than there were before.
With all due respect, I disagree. This site has been by far the slowest of any site I have ever visited, and I timed out frequently. Been happening as long as I have been here. I noticed that the url at the bottom when hanging up was always pagead2.googlesyndication. So I googled that term and found that if you download the extension AdblockPlus in Firefox, it prevents all the Google syndication banners. Now the site is very fast.

I have found this to work on three different computers, with DSL, wireless, and cable access. All were slow before, all are fast now.

Googlesyndication is a major loading delay.

Quick Reply: WHY IS SITE SO FRICKING SLOOOOO