Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Is this motherboard any good? New question*

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this motherboard any good?

ORIGINAL: Altair

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI all are decent mobos. I'm preferential to Asus and Gigabyte myself (have a 7 year old Socket A desktop with a Gigabyte mobo that ran nearly constantly until I picked up an XPS at the pawn shop over Christmas bread). It doesn't have to be an Nforce chipset, the Gigabyte I had wasn't. Make sure it supports AGP 8x and 2GB of ram (with the specs of your system there is no point going with more than that, heck 1GB might be enough, CPU and video card are going to be your bottlenecks) Keep in mind it's still going to be a slow system by today's standards either way. Depending on the gaming you want to do you may be better off saving up and building a new computer.

I realize it wont be the fastest computer ever, but again it will only be a secondary computer in my room, not my main computer. Gaming wise, all the games that I would play I have played on the computer before it crashed, and it played them all just fine. Eventually I might look into building a new computer, but right now I have no desire to as I have a pretty good one right here that I am typing on lol.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

I was looking into building a new computer, when I came across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138100

Would that be able to drop into my case, and work with my CD-rom drive, hd, windows XP, and power supply? I would upgrade the memory (2 1g sticks.)

If not, I was also looking at this set up for my case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131172R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103774
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146580

I would actually do the 1st option right away, but if i had to do the second option I would wait until next year when my car is done and I have a job...

Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I dunno what ur looking totally at doing right now but I would just hold off for a bit. Lots of sick stuff is coming out now. Nvidia just unleashed the new 9 series. which are freaking amazing. and the new CPU's are coming out soon. DDR3 Ram is hitting the market soon. all sorts of ridiculous stuff.

for a mobo just look for one that has a pcx16 slto for graphics. a pci connection is much faster than agp which makes cards perform much better.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
milesdude1
Professional

Intel is better than AMD for the processor

Old 05-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy or build a new computer.
2nd this motion, your current one is little more thana paperweight by today's standards.

Intel is better than AMD for the processor
Intel blows

Old 06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

[blockquote]quote:

Intel is better than AMD for the processor[/blockquote]

Intel blows
AMD used to be the best and Iwas an AMD fan for the longest time but these new Dual Cores are unbelievable and AMD is lacking compared to them

Quick Reply: Is this motherboard any good? New question*