Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Broadband Router with DSL.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broadband Router with DSL.

is it possible to hook up a wireless broadband router to a DSL router via ethernet? my friend has a DSL wireless router and the wireless sucks! so i got to thinking about just hooking up a wireless broadband router via ethernet and seeing if that would work. any ideas?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Broadband Router with DSL.

As long as the broadband router has an "UPLINK" connection on the back, you can. Most broadband and DSL router have the internet hookup as the uplink which kills your idea of piggybacking the two. If your router doesn't have the uplink port, then you CAN buy another wireless router and use it. You can find them for around $30. Which ever way you choose, I would go into the DSL router menu and disable the wireless usability and make sure you set up the second router menu as your main for the computers in the home.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: L and R Two

As long as the broadband router has an "UPLINK" connection on the back, you can. Most broadband and DSL router have the internet hookup as the uplink which kills your idea of piggybacking the two. If your router doesn't have the uplink port, then you CAN buy another wireless router and use it. You can find them for around $30. Which ever way you choose, I would go into the DSL router menu and disable the wireless usability and make sure you set up the second router menu as your main for the computers in the home.
+1

I used to do this with my previous router/cable connection. However, something I do want to tell you is that alot of the newer routers are designed for G/N wireless signals, so if he's using an older wireless card on a newer wireless system, that may be why its running slow.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to hook up a wireless broadband router to a DSL router via ethernet

short answer/. yes

U can plug the new wireless router in any port (1-4) on the one supplied DSL router into the WAN port of your newer better faster stronger WiFi router.. You may have to tweak the IP addresses around on the secondary router if its on the same subnet as the primary router (ie if the original one gives out an IP address of 192.168.2.1 you should switch the secondary router subnet to 192.168.1.1 basically you would be routing twice to the outside world, but it can work :-)

Quick Reply: Broadband Router with DSL.