Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

IE explorer and firefox not working but I have internet connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IE explorer and firefox not working but I have internet connection

Last night I decided it would be a great idea to upgrade to the newest version of firefox. Well after I installed it, it will not access ANY website. Just gives me a connection error basically telling me to check my connection. Which is bs, because AIM works on it no problem. Internet explorer has been that way for awhile on that computer as well. It does the same exact same thing. I tried to reset winsock, but that didn't seem to help. Obviously some file or settings got changed which is the reason it will not access any websites. I even updated spybot and adaware with that computer to scan my computer. Any ideas? There is obviously something corrupt or that got changed, I just can't seem to find what it is. I have some other ideas of things I can try, but I want to see if anyone has some better suggestions before I do this.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In FF try going to

Tools-Options Advanced then the network tab. Click on settings and make sure it is not set to use a proxy.

Also go to file and make sure work offline is not checked.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Nope, I already checked that stuff. Any other ideas?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
In FF try going to

Tools-Options Advanced then the network tab. Click on settings and make sure it is not set to use a proxy.

Also go to file and make sure work offline is not checked.
In case anyone else ever has this problem. Here is what I did, which probably took me 3 hours of work to figure out. I had some trojan or malware buried on my computer. I don't know where it was, but I ran a program called SDFix. Replaced a few registry files. Ran HiJackThis to see what else was going on. I basically obliterated anything that I knew I did not need. I also ran atribune or something like that to clean up firefox. It was a very time consuming getting to the problem, but things are running well again. I would not recommend trying to do this unless you are computer literate because you can do SERIOUS damage unless you know what you're doing. I will now have to run adaware, spybot, hijackthis, and others more often to keep my system clean. I was running firewall & virus scan so I'm not sure how this happened, but it is windows so you're always vulnerable.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry you didn't get many replies. The default thread orders are still messed up.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I had a hard time finding this thread everytime I tried posting to it. Even my Internet explorer is working again. Honestly...it would have been quicker for me to reformat, but I didn't want to have to reinstall all my **** again. Windows safe mode came in handy quite a few times. Its alright though, I figured it out. I didn't think there was going to be very many on here who could have answered it anyhow. I was just throwing it out there because I was at a loss of ideas at the time.

Quick Reply: IE explorer and firefox not working but I have internet connection