Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Windows question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windows question

I started out back in the days of Dos, now I'm running XP and soon will be going to a Mac.

Why dose windows need to start over every time a program is up dated?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I started out back in the days of Dos, now I'm running XP and soon will be going to a Mac.

Why dose windows need to start over every time a program is up dated?
Most of my programs dont require it, but sometimes the reason is so that the files that are currently in use during the updating process can be replaced by newer files.

Sorry to hear you are going to a Mac...

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mac will ask you to restart after installing some programs too. I run XP Pro on my desktop and dual boot OS X and Vista on my MacBook Pro. For regular computing/daily use I prefer OS X but some of my software and games require windows. Both are good operating systems, Windows is more versatile and OS X is definitely ahead in the user interface department though microsoft is trying to catch up.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the newest versions of Windows Installer applied, Windows XP reboots itself almost never, thanks to much smarter code that automatically refreshes the loaded drivers and support files to keep the computer running. Windows Vista and Windows 7 Beta seem to do this more efficiently as well. But nonetheless, a reboot now and again seems inevitable.

Quick Reply: Windows question