Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Forum questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Chaosrawn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum questions

Firstly, let me say this is great site. You guys have a lot to offer a new Dodge owner.
I'm having some problems and I fully expect it is something I'm doing wrong, but here goes:
1. The site will not remember me upon next visit. Must retype username and login each time. Gives me crap too when I click to close site, rather than go through the logout routine.

2. Other sites I am on will remember the threads and posts that you have already read. When you click on the thread title, you get directed to the page and post where you left off.

3. DF seems a little slow to load the pages. I'm using IE, but other sites I subscribe to load significantly quicker.

Do both these issues have something to do with my cookies settings (doubtful, since still holds my place at my other site: boatingABC.com) or perhaps firewall settings, some sort of site permissions, or some equally confusing parameters?
Any help appreciated.
Thx

Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaosrawn
Firstly, let me say this is great site. You guys have a lot to offer a new Dodge owner.
I'm having some problems and I fully expect it is something I'm doing wrong, but here goes:
1. The site will not remember me upon next visit. Must retype username and login each time. Gives me crap too when I click to close site, rather than go through the logout routine.

2. Other sites I am on will remember the threads and posts that you have already read. When you click on the thread title, you get directed to the page and post where you left off.

3. DF seems a little slow to load the pages. I'm using IE, but other sites I subscribe to load significantly quicker.

Do both these issues have something to do with my cookies settings (doubtful, since still holds my place at my other site: boatingABC.com) or perhaps firewall settings, some sort of site permissions, or some equally confusing parameters?
Any help appreciated.
Thx
hello!

1. are you sure that your browser is allowing cookies?

2. im not sure about this one...i dont see a setting option for it, but ill look around the settings.

3. in my experiences, everything runs slower in IE...i dont know how i ever dealt with it. however, as you said its still slower than other sites, how do those sites compare as far as size? i know that some people run ad blockers and say that it runs alot faster, but i spend literally all day on forums and i rarely notice DF running slower than the other large sites i frequent.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Chaosrawn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think my browser is allowing cookies. I have had no change to my banking login or other sites not remembering who I am. I recently changed my online protection program though.
As far as speed, I think that f150online.com (old truck) and boatingabc.com (current old boat) sites are similar in size.
24,000 posts??? I guess you would know!
Thanks Badstratrt.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:44 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I dunno what the deal is, I can pull up high bandwidth pirate types sites all day and do it fairly quickly in IE, but DF seems to lag a little bit. For people that are on an a very high speed connection, they might not notice it, but people like me that are on a lower speed (512K) it really shows.

I switched to Mozilla Fire Fox quite a while ago, and I will never go back. It has options on it that when you sign into a site like this, it will ask you if you want fire fox to remember the password. It pulls it up every time.
As for the ad blocker, it really works, I can pull this site up in a blink of an eye, and don't have to look at all the ads on the page. And, those annoying little in text links that bring up a pop window when you roll your mouse over them? They are all gone.
If you go the Fire fox route, you can install Ad Blocker Pro and it will do it's job really well (Just look under the Addons link in the tools section) The only bad part about that plugin is the fact that you have to manually tell it what to block. It can be a pain in the *** if there are a bunch of ads, but there are some things you might not want to block.
Instead of running ad blocker pro, I am trying out a new add on called Foof. It does all of the blocking auotmatically, and has yet to block content that I didn't want blocked.

Just some thoughts to wrap ya head around.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As for speed issues I went through many different configs.

Firefox ran it the fastest, but is also not as secure as IE. In the 3 months of using FF I had some spyware on my PC that I never got with IE visiting the same sites.

I then got a new PC with a 64bit OS. The 64bit IE browser made DF run faster.

So.... If you have a 64bit OS use your 64 bit browser, if not use FF and it will be faster.

Have not tried Google's Chrome so can not comment on that.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

for me its the opposite...i had tons of problems with spyware in a virus on IE..nothing on FF

Quick Reply: Forum questions