Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Windows 7 RTM

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
2k1AmberR/T
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it cost, and what are the system specifications? I've heard of it but...that's about all. Haven't really looked into the details. I didn't even know it was available yet?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
What about the differences in Remote assistance? I know that in Vista, you could only accept help, but not offer it. I ran into this issue with long distance family that was having computer issues. I had home premium, and couldn't connect to her tower. Once I went to ultimate, the option was available to me.
Home versions are just that, designed for home use. If you want networking options, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate are the options you want.

As for pricing, they have not yet released that info, but I expect it to be comparable to the past versions of XP and Vista...

Specs: Will run better on older systems than Vista did, but wouldnt recommend loading it on anything that Vista isnt supported on..

Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya i am getting ready to load it here soon as I back up everything... Been waiting for the RTM version... hope I like it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
Media Center, Bitlocker, and a few other things, but overall, probably not anything that you would need...
I thought media center was on pro too?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
I thought media center was on pro too?
Here is a great page that compares what edition has what.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

For those that don't want to read through that huge linked page:

Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade): $119.99
-Will upgrade Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium. Any other version of Vista, or if you have Windows XP, you will have to do a clean install.
Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade): $199.99
-Will upgrade Vista Business. Any other version of Vista, or Windows XP, and you will have to do a clean install.
Windows 7 Ultimate (Upgrade): $219.99
-Will upgrade any version of Vista except the Starter edition. Vista Starter edition and Windows XP users, you'll have to do a clean install.

Retail boxed edition:
Windows 7 Home Premium: $199.99
Windows 7 Professional: $299.99
Windows 7 Ultimate: $329.99

Specs: Will run better on older systems than Vista did, but wouldnt recommend loading it on anything that Vista isnt supported on..
I agree completely, especially since Windows 7 uses (pretty much) Vista drivers.

Last edited by jasonw; 08-16-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
befast0rbelast

I am currently running Windows 7 64bit
I love it! Way better than XP and Kills Vista!
Very smooth OS
Microsoft Did their homework!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have an msdn account, did not see a windows 7 ultimate RTM, only windows 7 pro, the windows 7 ultimate was listed as RC so where did you get the 7 ultimate RTM, if i could do that i would upgrade in a heartbeat, but it wont let me upgrade from vista enterprise to 7 pro

tho the RC runs VERY well on my laptop so i REALLY want to upgrade to it ASAP

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i have an msdn account, did not see a windows 7 ultimate RTM, only windows 7 pro, the windows 7 ultimate was listed as RC so where did you get the 7 ultimate RTM, if i could do that i would upgrade in a heartbeat, but it wont let me upgrade from vista enterprise to 7 pro

tho the RC runs VERY well on my laptop so i REALLY want to upgrade to it ASAP
Why is that an issue? Back up and do a clean install, it'll run better anyway. I would never do the upgrade installation for windows, all you end up with is problems down the road or at the least lower performance.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
Why is that an issue? Back up and do a clean install, it'll run better anyway. I would never do the upgrade installation for windows, all you end up with is problems down the road or at the least lower performance.
the issue is that i have school issued software(not really something i can get legally as far as i know) which i cannot get back unless i take it to IT and have the harddrive re-imaged by them (they use Norton Ghost) and i actually just ordered a new 320 GB HD today for like $60 i will prob be installing it on that and keeping the 160 they gave me as a backup and trying to just dl the software i need

Quick Reply: Windows 7 RTM