Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Tethering...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tethering...

I phone, has any one used it as a moblie modem for lap tops? How abought the Blackberry?

Telus ( Alberta Canada ) doesnt offer tethering plans where as Rogers dose with the I phone. I don't what to pay two system acess fess for a cell and usb modem.

How fast is tethering on a 3 G net work compared to a cable modem or DSL line?

For now, I will hook it up to my celeron desk top, not sure on the lap top, currently looking..

Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I phone, has any one used it as a moblie modem for lap tops? How abought the Blackberry?

Telus ( Alberta Canada ) doesnt offer tethering plans where as Rogers dose with the I phone. I don't what to pay two system acess fess for a cell and usb modem.

How fast is tethering on a 3 G net work compared to a cable modem or DSL line?

For now, I will hook it up to my celeron desk top, not sure on the lap top, currently looking..
Tethering sucks, because it's wholy reliant on your phone being powered up. The USB Modem is actually a better idea....but it's up to you honestly.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as speed, I relate it to being on a 512kb internet connection. Great for web surfing and email, but leaves something to be desired when you need to move some large data around.

I agree with reject, you can get the USB modems, or the PCI card and I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run. Using your phone as a modem is great, but it eats power, ties your phone up obviously, and looks like hell when you are on the move.

Oh, for home browsing I wouldn't want it, but what do I know? All we can get down here is 512.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

lol thats how i am on here... i have us cellular and i have 5gb of data usa a month .. using this one week i am around 350mb of use.... i would say a tad slower then running a cable modem but hella faster then dial up.... only time its a pain is when i get a call.... and my lappy charges my phone while i am using it as a modem........ i have the htc touch... nutting to it hook it up turn the modem part on in the phone and good to go.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the I phone, Rogers ( cell provider) told me that the I phone is running on a 3 g net work, identical to thier usb modem,, not sure abought this and wounder if any one using the I phone on a 3 gig net work has any thoughts, I'm not worried abought the cell phone aspect of calls, as I have a telus cell phone.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Tethering can be an efficient way to use the internet when you need to use it, but ultimately, your phone is constantly being powered up, charged, and cant be used to do both things at once. Most of all, most data plans are pretty pricey on the bandwidth limits.

However, its all about what is best for you...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are on the pc and on the phone alot, then a two piece setup is the way to go. But if you do not use the phone much, but use internet alot, then tethering on the phone is the way to go. All based on the user's needs.

I never seen an I-Phone that is tether capable? I did some searching on the forums to make the I-phone tetherable but it is not possible without possible hacking. Our company has an exclusive contract with AT&T to use their PDA phone, phone and data services but so far, they do not offer tethering with the I-phones. Our company signed up with AT&T's unlimited phone/data plans so we don't have to worry about per minute charges. If anyone knows how to make the Iphone tetherable on AT&T, please PM me.

I am using a Fuze and tethered it on my laptop. Ran speedtest and in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I was averaging 3 mbps down and 384k up when it is connected on the 3G network.

Funny thing about this speed. Damn, I was surfing pretty nicely on the laptop with the tethered mode of the fuze. But when surfing on the fuze, it is SLOW! Strange.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Dr Donut
Veteran

Be wary of cell phone internet providers. I have verizon and they're terms of use are ridiculous, I have an unlimited data plan but are not allowed to use it for gaming, streaming video, downloading of any sort even legal, If you go over they're "suggested" limit they cap you at 20kb (welcome back dial-up) btw the suggested usage is 5gb and I can use this in about 2 weeks not doing any of the above. Another thought is that even though they advertise a 3g network you can expect you extreme peak speeds to be about 1.5m but on average around 300-600kbs. Bottom line unless you have no other option stay away.