Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Got a bad virus

Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
MongoDV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
I tried to use malware bytes, everyone seems to recommend it.
Unfortunately, the virus seems to be corrupting its installation, and I get errors trying to run it.
Install Malaware Bytes under a different name. Worked for me before. Rename the mbam.exe something like xxx.exe and see if that helps.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
xray99
Banned

Tried everything including renaming, no joy.

I am now in consultation with the experts at Kaspersky anti virus, they wrote a custom script that was supposed to nuke all that baddies, so far even that hasn't worked.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a computer savvy friend with a USB to SATA adapter or HDD dock of some sort, where you can yank the HDD and give to him for him to scan on his system?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Cool Bad virus

Awhile back my old laptop was having virus problems as well. I needed some help to clear out some old IE 5 files, they are gone now, Thanks guys.
I did a little research and used Hitman Pro 3.5 to clean out the laptop.You may need to sign up for the 30 day free trial but that version is strong enough to clean it up. I subscribe to Mac Afee and it did nothing.
There was similar problems with my laptop as you described. Hope it helps ya.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 03-22-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Brain freeze
Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
xray99
Banned

I'm about the most computer savvy guy I know, I'm a genius compared to anyone else I know.
Even the pros at Kaspersky are stumped so far, heres the link if anyone wants to follow my saga.
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...&#entry1308599

One file, bqglkgov.sys, seems to be the germ cell of the entire infection, and it refuses to budge.
It closes down or corrupts just about any program that can get rid of it, even the custom script they wrote had no affect. It either resists any effort to delete it, or regenerates on the next boot.

I thought about the possibility of attaching it as a slave drive in another computer then trying to manually delete the infected files, I just may do that.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
xray99
Banned

Well, if "the pros" at Kaspersky anti virus advise thats the only solution, perhaps I would do just that - And I am hardly sitting around connected all day, pushing buttons and rebooting, I doubt if I have spent 1 hour today messin with it.
I doubt if they are shy telling people when things are hopeless, search "rootkit" over there and you'll find dozens of sticky problems that have been solved, hopefully mine will be next.
Solving problems like this can make it alot easier for the next to get inflicted with the same thing, as a mod in a DIY forum you ought not downplay that angle.
If everyone took the easy way out there would be no need for AV in the first place, hell just reload the operating system and forget about it !

Last edited by xray99; 03-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 AM
xray99
Banned

Virus free now, the last procedure I tried to get rid of the infection hosed windows.
I tried a repair installation, already planning my next course of action, but setup kept shutting down half way through with fatal exceptions.
Even in its death throes, this damn virus wouldn't quit, it didn't like trying to be over-written so it shut the whole process down.
So I did a complete reformat, which took about 5 hours on a 1tb drive, and did a fresh install.
Lessons learned:

* Don't ignore and over-ride antivirus warnings
* Make mirror image of drive on monthly basis

I'd like to strangle the guys who write malicious code, but I have to give them grudging props.
These guys thought of just about everything, and I suppose the mark of a successful virus is one that defies any counter measures, and takes down the entire OS with it.
If bqglkgov.sys gets it hooks in your system, you are in for a very rough ride.

Last edited by xray99; 03-23-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea yea yea, the whole "learn something idea" is fine, but you have to understand that Eric, Jason, and I are all looking at this from a stance that we want to get in, get the job done, and get out in the shortest amount of time possible. It's just more profitable for everyone considering most bug removal jobs are considered piece work.

I'm glad that you fixed it, but don't look down on a moderator for taking a professional approach to an IT problem.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
xray99
Banned

Not looking down on anyone, I got my own style, you got yours.
Doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong, it means we are different people with different mindsets and different ways of handling problems - And you might as well throw out the shortest time angle, with the 5 hr format and windows install, thats more time than I spent messin with anti virus measures right there, and I haven't even started reinstalling programs or transferring saved files, dl'ing updates or getting around to most drivers, hours ahead doing that.
Yeah, if I was doing some paid job for someone, that would make sense, tho if someone is so helpless they have to pay someone to simply install their OS they ought to stay away from computers anyhow.

I came in asking for any anti-virus/malware advice from people who have been down this road, as usual things start getting a bit personal, I don't think you can help yourself laramie, you always gotta have a little edge to your words.
If I had just wanted to wave the white flag and reinstall the OS, obviously I wouldn't have need to ask for advice on that in the first place.

Last edited by xray99; 03-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Search this Thread