Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

computer scammer alert

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Default computer scammer alert

i woke up to a phone call from someone that claimed to be working for windows support and that my computer was reporting errors to them. after about 20 minute of the guy telling me to check stuff he asked me to go to a website with some type of remote access software. at that point i told him i would not give him access to my computer so that he could fix the errors and that was it. after that i did some googleing and found out that it was a scam. apparently Microsoft will never call you which make sense because i have had computers in the past that have had licencing problems and i never heard from them. here is where i found out that is was a scam. it seem to have started 2-3 months ago.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
ne14t
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all honesty microsoft probably has a back door into there operating system and everytime your computer does an update a specific serial code for Windows is registered in there database, if they wanted remote access, they would probably do it without you knowing. This applies to almost anything similar to this scenario, but of course there is alway the few people who are too stupid to realize this and get suckered in, I think I have won the Nigerian Lottery like 17 times now and I have never been there!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have got tons of those emails too. it would be illegal for Microsoft to access your computer without your permission. that is why the older operating systems offered you the option to send in info to Microsoft if something crashed. after working at a computer store for 6 months i learned enough to know not to let someone remotely access my computer unless i call them to help me.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most (ALL) of my software is pirated anyway so they wouldnt get 10 secs on the phone with me. Besides, how did you think that got your phone number?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooooooh thats sketchy. Was it a legitimate phone number? Maybe you should post it on some chevy forums next to some inflammatory comments.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever you are contacted from somebody claiming to be affiliated with any organization and asking for personal information/connect to your computer/anything suspicious NEVER do it. A vast amount of scams for things from identity theft to getting you to install malware on your computer rely on this basic template.

In any situation if you think it might be legitimate look up the number for the company or organization in question and call in yourself to confirm and address the issue. This is especially important with credit card issues, always call the number on the back of your card in that case.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 AM
ChristinaL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks.. This is really obvious that Microsoft would not call personally for all this crap.. Yes, in that situation there are chances for us to wonder if we really got a call from Microsoft... Don't fall for any of those frauds.. Rack your brains... :P

Quick Reply: computer scammer alert