Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Closing Threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Cloak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closing Threads

well since I can't post in the DF Issues section, I'll ask here........

If I start a thread..........how/can I CLOSE the thread? Like if I get the answer I need, why can't/should'nt I be able to close it? Wouldn't that clog up the server with answers that might be months old.........or just replies that might have NOTHING to do with the thread topic?

If I get my answer, I should be able to close the thread, ergo saving the database USELESS space with JUNK replies or replies no longer needed.

Just wondering

I mean think about it............how many USELESS replies are smilies or LOL's or useless BS...taking up server space?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, firstly, repeatedly making very short smiley only (or similar) replies is against the DF rules, and we do enforce those rules if we see a consistent pattern.

The main reason I see for not allowing members to close threads is this: sometimes, a dead thread needs to be dragged up (albeit rarely) to bring the issue back to people's attention. The other thing is, what if new information comes to light regarding an issue, or someone comes up with a new idea to solve a problem? They can't post this new information or idea if the thread is closed. Creating a new thread with this new information is just as much a use of space as dragging up an old thread.

The chances are rare, but they are viable enough that we, as admins/moderators, are willing to put up with and bounce on the spammers/junk reply people.

Quick Reply: Closing Threads