Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Change my Vote on a Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Change my Vote on a Poll.

It seems that the idea of most Polls on this site is to gain a general consensus of what folks are using on their vehicles (oil, filter, plugs, tires, gears, mods, etc).

As time passes, it is very conceivable that one might change the brand/size/item that one uses, either due to gained experience, or maybe advise received here or elsewhere.

Therefore it would make sense to allow members to change their vote, so the Polls can reflect the current, and most accurate data.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I wonder how many Obama voters would change their votes if they got a mulligan on their first vote? Don't work that say though. You only got one vote IMO. Polls are a snapshot in time. If you change your mind later on that's your choice but your vote at the time counts.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You can always lock the poll after a year, make another one and post the results from previous year in the header. I'm sure a section moderator would be open to ideas if you just PM them.

Dodge Forum "Fuel Of The Year" "Oil Of The Year" "Filter Of The Year"

However, the site owners might have something to say about it if they had a competing sponsor that didn't win....I dunno just throwin it out there.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Not being polls that I have started, it is not possible for me to lock them and start a new.

As an example;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-how-tos-143/
15 of the Sticky polls in this forum are about items used that one could and would likely change as time passes... therefore it would be reasonable to think one could change ones vote to make the data correct... they are not polls on what did I use/have this week... they are polls on what do you use/have.

To start another poll on the same subject would be founded on by staff as being redundant.

It looks like this site is based on vBulletin software, so being able to change ones vote is a poll setup option.

Last edited by Spillage; 11-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I wonder how many Obama voters would change their votes if they got a mulligan on their first vote? Don't work that say though. You only got one vote IMO. Polls are a snapshot in time. If you change your mind later on that's your choice but your vote at the time counts.
You're probably right on that... but you do get to vote again in 4yrs time... you may vote the same, or you might change... you have the option.

How often do you change your oil?... maybe you want the option to use a different oil?... have you never changed tire size, oil, filter, plug brand?
Wouldn't it be nice if these sticky polls reflected that, rather than the choice you made years ago.

[Edit] If these polls are snapshots in time, why are they stickied... they should drop away and be replaced with new polls.
I'm thinking folks would get sick of new polls on the same subject, and not participate.

Last edited by Spillage; 11-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I see your point. Just not sure how to address it...

Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Admins can change poll settings... they may not have given this privilege to Mods on this site.

It also depends on how Admins have the poll function setup, whether or not they have allowed this option.
Other options are multiple selections, change vote, delete vote, and see who voted.

Quick Reply: Change my Vote on a Poll.