Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Recommended free Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recommended free Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs?

So, I fixed my old computer. Well, new hard drive... Now a 100 gig hard drive and also 768 RAM... but anyway...

I no longer have AOL and all it's protection programs... (That by the way were awesome, I don't care what anyone says, I know my computer was clean... all the time...)

So I need to know what you guys recommend for free anti virus and anti apyware programs...

Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommended free Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs?

For free AntiVirus software.....AVG...or Avant is a pretty good program. All in all, it's about as good as Symantec Corporate....and that's all I run.

You can also run AOL, which isnt bad, but its strength is more in that it runs a bunch of different programs to do one job...

Old 09-11-2006, 02:43 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i got Adware Pro.. on my server if you want it. Just pm me and ill send you a link.

Also i would run, Zone Alarm for the Firewall and anti-spy, along with Adaware Pro, and Registy booster.

thats what i got.

I have Ad-Aware Pro if you want it.

but if you go to Torrentspy.com you can find Zone Alarm and Registy Booster for free.

before you download them from torrentspy though you need to download somthing called "Bitlord" or "Bitcoment" there both free just google them. I would use Bitlord over Bitcoment.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:33 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No personal experiance with free anti-virus, but like DevilsRejects said, I've heard AVG is good. (I've got Symantec thanks to the Chair Force)
When I had spyware problems, I used AdAware and SpyBot. Each one found a few things the other didn't.
For firewall, I run the free ZoneAlarm. When I bought my laptop, I decided I'd try TrendMicro PC-Cillin, but, I liked my Norton Internet Security more.
I never have really used a Registry cleaner, but, than again, I usually do a clean Windows install every year or so, and I'm kinda picky when I install or download software, so not a lot of junk programs are on my computers.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: User2006

i got Adware Pro.. on my server if you want it. Just pm me and ill send you a link.

Also i would run, Zone Alarm for the Firewall and anti-spy, along with Adaware Pro, and Registy booster.
Ad-Aware Pro is merely an adware removal tool. It doesnt prevent virii and spyware from getting on your machine, it merely helps remove it. Furthermore, be careful in running ANY registry cleaner as they can do as much damage as they can help.

Registry cleaners typically clean up unwanted/removed registry keys from programs that are either uninstalled or simply were moved around during installs. These can also delete needed key values and destroy Windows if you arent careful. I strongly suggest you read everything as you go step by step until your comfortable doing it.

Ad-Aware/Spy Bot come together in a packaged combo. I have Avant, Symantec Corp., and I've had both installed at once.

Spyware can hit your pc regardless of any of virus protection or registry cleaners...and in my opinion, is worse then any virus.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reg booster has never gave me that problem. The 3 that i use work great. Zone alarm, Adawre Pro, and reg booster. do the job. I havent had a virus in a long time, i get spyware all the time, but with zone alarm scanning everyday and adaware right after it, it cleans it right up. Reg Booster will also let you defrag your reg.

Also if you run "MSConfig" and setup your boot options, and have a scan everyday your computer should boot pretty damn fast, with no popups.

Ive used this setup for a long time, i build my own computers and alot of the things you buy comes with virus scanners like PC0killin or w/e ive used that and didnt like it one bit.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

AVG for Anti-virus...wouldn't go with any other free AV program.

Windows Defender (the MS spyware program) along with Spybot S&D (using teatimer and the immunize features) for real-time spyware/malware protection. That seems to be the combination that works the best.

As far as MSCONFIG, if you don't know what you're doing I would suggest not running that. Same goes with any registry editing programs. You can seriously mess up your system.

Quick Reply: Recommended free Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs?