Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

why when i play videos are they choppy?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 PM
89 dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why when i play videos are they choppy?

Now I'll admit i have an old system. Pentium 3, 383mb ram, But i should think that this should be sufficent to play videos like the ones i want to watch in this forum. But thier all supper choppy and slow. The musics over before i even see half the video. Is there anything i can do?[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 10-26-2006, 11:57 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: why when i play videos are they choppy?

ORIGINAL: 89 dakota

Now I'll admit i have an old system. Pentium 3, 383mb ram, But i should think that this should be sufficent to play videos like the ones i want to watch in this forum. But thier all supper choppy and slow. The musics over before i even see half the video. Is there anything i can do?[sm=helpout.gif]
Version of Windows? Also, if you have Windows XP press ALT CTRL DEL, then click task manager. Go to the performance tab and note the available memory and let us know.

Also check the computer security post above, noting the part about scanning your computer for Spyware.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:41 AM
89 dakota
Professional

i have win 2000pro and i do spyware/malware checks evryday

Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 89 dakota

i have win 2000pro and i do spyware/malware checks evryday
Windows 2K should have the task manager option. Check to see how much available memory you have.,

Old 10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
89 dakota
Professional

Physical memory

Total= 392692

Available= 171900

Kernel memory

Total= 53836

paged= 45200

Non-paged= 8636

Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

If your video is choppy, it could be a number of things.

1.) Bad connection. This can happen when the video is delayed by a server or your internet connection. I have had it happen to me on a super high speed computer with a 100 megabit line. It's not always your fault. The server or connection your connecting to could simply be crap.

2.) Codecs - you may be missing the necessary video compression/decompression files to view the video correctly. These are called codecs. These vary by program as there are many types. You may also need to update a program like Windows Media Player or Quicktime.

3.) Video Card - it could be that your video card simply isnt up to snuff in showing videos adequately. This is usually a nonfactor, but if you have a really crappy/old card....it could possibly contribute.

4.) Physical memory - This one tends to be the #1 issue. Most older computers simply dont have enough physical memory to run both Windows and view videos. Some simply have enough memory to run Windows and maybe view a few webpages with out running super slow as it is. This is a generalization, but more often then not I find people dont have enough memory have issues with videos and movies.

5.) Old computer - This is usually more of a #2 issue, but it can sometimes be a #1 issue..... let's face it...computers are expensive...and more often then not people dont want to buy new/upgrade their old systems. They often purchase low level models that just get them enough to do this or that and call it a day. Again, this purely generalizing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why when i play videos are they choppy?