Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Anybody running windows vista??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
DODGERAM808
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody running windows vista??

I've been trying to download it and i think i have it but im not sure how to load it up. i downloaded it as an iso file, so do i need to just burn the whole file to a dvd and then just run the disc? also are there any better sites to get the real version of vista, i used Utorrent? thanks

Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody running windows vista??

You can get it directly from microsoft. It's currently a free download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 AM
DODGERAM808
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that just the beta version or the real deal? im looking to get the rc2.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The "real deal" has not been released yet. If you're getting it from MS at this point in time ... it's as real as you're going to get. They're still pushing RC1. I've heard nothing of RC2 yet ... but I haven't been following it THAT closely.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
jasonwyo
Veteran

RC2 wont be out until early 2007...pending another delay

Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: jasonwyo

RC2 wont be out until early 2007...pending another delay
And you'd be wrong...

I'm currently running Windows Vista RC2 and it looks good so far. Still has a bunch of incompatiability issues with software and hardware drivers that did work on Windows XP. Several companies havent even started working on software fixes or updates to make it work on Vista.

DodgeRam808: My suggestion is to not install Vista. A couple of reasons come to mind right away.

1.) It's quite possible that some or all of your hardware drivers wont be present in Vista. Several of the machines I've tested Vista on have had issues re-installing the hardware drivers. This can cause you EXTREME frustration and time consuming troubleshooting. If you arent very computer savvy, you could be wasting alot of time and money possibly.

2.) I dont know how many of the programs you want to use will actually work in Vista just yet. I know I've been able to install most of what I use, but there are some versions of the software I use that wont even install, including my hardware driver software like my touchpad and quickset features.

3.) Biggest reason, do you even have a backup copy of Windows XP to put back on your system if this doesnt work? And, if you do, are you going to be able to replace the software you wiped out? Vista wont upgrade, you have to do a complete install.

As for the .iso question, yes you can just burn it to DVD via the image file. However, these early releases have a 30 day trial period and then must be activated. If your using a bootleg version of the RC2, chances are its exceeded its activation limit as these are only allowed to be installed on 10 machines per cd-key.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Windows Vista RTM has been out for weeks, leaps and bounds above RC2, as far as memory management goes. Still, I would recommend a MINIMUM of 1GB of RAM for this beast. 2GB would be ideal.

Quick Reply: Anybody running windows vista??