Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

phantom file

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
1RewdRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phantom file

hey. I have a problem emptying my recycle bin. every time I try a window informs me that file "Dc236" cannot be deleted. I have been through every file in da bin and no file with this name is there. did an entire search of the hd and still nothing. Only way to empty the thing is one file at a time, sux. Helpo, por favor

Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: phantom file

You may need to turn on viewing hidden files. However, if your getting that error in your recycle bin, sounds like it could be spyware or a virus.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
1RewdRam

Did the hidden file thing, nothing. I was thinking the badware angle too. Ran McAfee, Spybot, Adware plus a free Norton and still nothing.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:14 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the time if something can not be deleted it means its in use by another program or running. Check your proccesses for any unknown programs running.

Then try deleting it.

If that doesnt work.

Restart the computer check your processes and then cancel all processes cept the explorer.exe proccess and then try cleaning the bin. If that works its a proccess that you have on your computer running. If that still doesnt work, then call tech support or update your windows though windows updater and it should install the secuirty device that clears unclearable files. It has worked numorus time for me.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this....

Open a command prompt (start-run type cmd and press enter)
type cd\ and press enter
type cd recycler and press enter
Make sure your prompt now says c:\recycler> VERY IMPORTANT!!! VERY IMPORANT!! Did I say this is VERY IMPORTANT??
type del *.* /s and press enter
You should get a prompt are you sure you want to delete, yada yada. Type y for yes and press enter

Then see if it is gone. The can may still look like it has something, but open and see if it is gone, if so a reboot should fix the can.

Quick Reply: phantom file