Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

2002 Intrepid w/ Speed Sensor Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM
DodgerDave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Intrepid w/ Speed Sensor Problems?

Hi...I'm new here, but this seems like a very informative board. I was having some problems with my Intrepid and thought I might get some feedback.

Once my Intrepid has warmed up - usually about 5-10 minutes of driving - the car will downshift into 2nd gear when I slow downto a traffic light or stop sign. It will not shift out of 2nd gear. My engine light has been on for a few days, so I was assuming it might be transmission related via the speed sensor? Not sure on that. If I turn the ingnition off on the Intrepid and restart the car, it resets itself and I can again drive at freeway/highway speeds, but once I slow down again, it downshifts - quite roughly - into 2nd.

Am I on the right track re: the speed sensor? Or is it likely something much more serious?

Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever. I try to do my best with my cars, but I'm just not that vehicle savvy. Thanks again.

DodgerDave

Old 07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2002 Intrepid w/ Speed Sensor Problems?

First thing check what engine code/s you have. Also is the speedometer functioning correctly during the malfunction? At this point from what you said, my gut says it is more serious than a speed sensor but for a few bucks, it may be worth a try.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Stormray
Default RE: 2002 Intrepid w/ Speed Sensor Problems?

Sounds like your gears are slipping... could be drive shaft related.

Quick Reply: 2002 Intrepid w/ Speed Sensor Problems?