Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

99' Intrepid Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Stormray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' Intrepid Problems...

I own a 99' Chrysler Intrepid... yeah I know it's not a Dodge but it's basically the same exact thing, I believe Chrysler made a years worth of Intrepids then they went to Dodge only... not sure though.

Anyway... the thing has been a damn Jinx. It has the 2.7l engine and I absolutely have to say... it's the most faulty piece of junk ever manufactured.

We've had the engine replaced twice... and currently the manifold piston gaskets leak oil... The radiator seems to eat anti-freeze... because theres no leak. The brake pads make an odd scratching sound... and it's either the left or right front wheel that makes an extremely odd squeeking sound for about 3 minutes while the car is moving. Theres quite a few more problems but I won't bore you all.

I'm extremely upset... I have put almost as much money if not more into the car repairing it compared to how much I bought it for.

This just isn't fair. I drive the car like a grandma everywhere I go.. but problems keep arising. Can anyone please hook me up with some sort of loophole that Chrysler or Dodge has made with the Intrepids and their obvious faultiness so I can get it professionally fixed for a good long time... and... perhaps this time... I won't have to pay for it? What we've had to go through to get it fixed is just rediculous... and the money we've had to pour into it is even more outrageous.

Also.. I'm not dissing Intrepids as a whole... I love the car and I love the 99-04 models. I'm just dissing mine... and how I was so undoubtably ripped off.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 99' Intrepid Problems...

if u are on your second engine then u either do something to make it fail or U put in junk yard motors which is it?? And who put it in?? there are alot of factors that is not being told to this matter. I own a 99 concorde with a 2.7 and have 156k on her. She smokes a little when i press the gas and thats due to worn valve stem guides. SO u tell the rest of the people that will be looking on here that U put crap junk yard motors and u get what u pay for.For the amount of money u just spent in motors u could have gotten a chrysler short or long block for that price and have it last 100 to 200k miles with correct 5w 30 oil.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Stormray
Default RE: 99' Intrepid Problems...

ORIGINAL: Dodge Tech

if u are on your second engine then u either do something to make it fail or U put in junk yard motors which is it?? And who put it in?? there are alot of factors that is not being told to this matter. I own a 99 concorde with a 2.7 and have 156k on her. She smokes a little when i press the gas and thats due to worn valve stem guides. SO u tell the rest of the people that will be looking on here that U put crap junk yard motors and u get what u pay for.For the amount of money u just spent in motors u could have gotten a chrysler short or long block for that price and have it last 100 to 200k miles with correct 5w 30 oil.
First of all... ask yourself... why the hell would anyone buy an engine from a JUNKYARD? Jee I don't know... I wonder why the engine was their in the first place.

Both of the engines came straight from Diamler Chrysler. The first replacement went bad because the manafold was put together almost backwards, and this second one leaks oil and has other numerous problems.

The engines are from Chrysler. Not a junk yard. Only an idiot would buy an engine from a junkyard.

I don't see myself getting any closer to a compensation deal from Dodge or Chrysler... so I'll be looking elseware. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:10 AM
madscientistandy
Default 2.7

I own a '98 Chrysler Intrepid w the 2.7 and bought it used with 91,000k on it and my friend is a shop foreman at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership and he told me of the fail history of this engine and suggested I don't buy that car.. but at the time and for the price it was a sweet looking car! So when I informed him that we bought it he told me the best thing I could do was change the oil and filter EVERY 3,000mi. This I have done religiously since and can say that this car owes my nothing as it now has 216,000k on it and is driven daily..other than tires, brakes and front end parts it has been a good car!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM
jimifanwing

So the dealer/installer is not correcting the problems you mention? If you didn't install the engines yourself then you paid good money to someone to do it right. They need to correct the problems, period. If the dealer is jacking with you start contacting customer service at a district/regional level. Good luck!

By the way, "junkyard engines" are an economical alternative for those that have more modest resources to repair their vehicle. A lower mileage engine harvested from a wrecked auto that was totaled for some non-drivetrain related reason (rear end collision) is a very cost effective solution. Of course,I'm not talking about the 2.7.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
azwynns

Same problems, I had an engine replaced at 68K, (Dealer), got 100K from it, now experiencing the same problems which lead to the replacement a few years back. no doubt a problem with the 2.7 litre, I do all my own maintenance and take good care. Too bad, I love the car.

Quick Reply: 99' Intrepid Problems...