Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

Whirring sound, bearing of some sort?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Apache31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring sound, bearing of some sort?

Hi Guys,

2001 Intrepid ES 3.2l 185,000 miles

Jumped in my car tonight, started it, and proceeded down the road. Immediately heard a whirring sound, almost like a mini blower like you would hear on a street rod. At one point thouhght there was a fire engine behind me. Went home (5 minutes away), popped the hood. The noise is definitely comingfrom the engine compartment. It seems fairly constant and has not disappeared in the 10 minutes I have driven it. Seems to occur only when the engine is accelerated - not at idle. Rolled steering wheel back and forth and the noise is unaffected and remains. Will remove accesory belt in the morning and see if the noise persists as to isolate an accessory/pulley problem.

NOTE:Recentlyintroduced 12 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil into the engine. I have never used additives in my cars and did so this time after reading some article - a momentry loss of reasoning on my part. Never again! As now I have a "Mystery" noise.

Have you ever heard of this symptomin an 01 Intrepid ES? I fear something major and being the primary bread-winner for my family on a tight budget, I am holding my breath.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Rich

Quick Reply: Whirring sound, bearing of some sort?