Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

Need Help Connecting Throttle Cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
jennifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Connecting Throttle Cable

My first post on the forum. I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.2 engine and have owned it since new. Today I replaced the intake manifold because of a coolant leak and for some reason I can get the throttle cable working right. I have about 1" of slack cable at the throttle body for the gas cable but the speed cable is just fine. Throttle body is working perfect and the cable looks good as does the mounting bracket for cables. I also have about 1" of slack cable at the gas pedal. The stop is in place and looks good. What am I doing wrong ??

Looking most forward to your help

Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
RacinRob4

You might try opening the T/B and stuffing a rag in it to keep it open,that usually makes it easier to work the cables in their grooves.Cruise cable goes on 1st,throttle cable goes 2nd.Just repaced head gaskets on wifes 99 3.2 this week,not bad just alot of little bolts everywhere.Also the bracket that bolts the cables to your intake has 2 10mm bolts in it make sure you have both of them in the right spot.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
jennifer

RacingRob4--- Thank you so much for the reply. I'm pretty much sure I have the cables in the right groves with the barrels in the right places. Also certain the two 10mmm bolts are bolted to the right spot. With everything in place I have about 1" of slack in the cable. With the cables disconnected from the T/B the throttle cable is about 1" longer than the cruise cable. It seems so easy and I'm sure I'm overlooking something very easy. I'd really appreciate your and other members help so I can have my car back on the road. My Dad was a mechanic and I spent many moments with him and kinda know my way around an engine bay but this one is sure whipping me. Should you want to email my address is: mgb_nut@embarqmail.com

Looking forward to your reply and thanks again in advance for your help

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM
circumventor
Banned

Originally Posted by jennifer
RacingRob4--- Thank you so much for the reply. I'm pretty much sure I have the cables in the right groves with the barrels in the right places. Also certain the two 10mmm bolts are bolted to the right spot. With everything in place I have about 1" of slack in the cable. With the cables disconnected from the T/B the throttle cable is about 1" longer than the cruise cable. It seems so easy and I'm sure I'm overlooking something very easy. I'd really appreciate your and other members help so I can have my car back on the road. My Dad was a mechanic and I spent many moments with him and kinda know my way around an engine bay but this one is sure whipping me. Should you want to email my address is: mgb_nut@embarqmail.com

Looking forward to your reply and thanks again in advance for your help
post a pic

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
jennifer

Hope this works trying to attach picture/s. If it does you can see that the throttle cable is about an inch longer than the cruise cable in the one picture (I've pulled them as far as they will go and held them together). At the pedal the stop is in place. Seems elementary but I'm sure having a problem with it.

The other picture is of the air dam and I've placed an arrow showing where the cable bracket is mounted with the two 10mm bolts.

Please help and I'm looking most forward to your reply and thank you so much

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Connecting Throttle Cable-dodge-intake-011.jpg  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
jennifer

Here's the other picture of the air dam with the arrow showing where I attached the cable bracket with the two 10mm bolts. Sorry about 2 posts to post pictures but I didn't know how to attached two to the same reply.

Again thanks so much for your help and I sure need it to get my car back on the road

Old 11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
jennifer

Well I can see the attachment didn't work in the last post. Here's another try

Reason for edit: Tried to add picture of air dam and mounting showing mounting area of throttle/cruise cable bracket but must have used up maximum allowable space on the first picture. Anyway it showed the two bolt holes for mounting and the cable bracket in good condition. I just know I'm overlooking something very simple. Thanks again for your help

Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
RacinRob4

The only thing can think of is the bracket that holds the 2 cables onto the intake has moved to allowt slack to occur.Try putting the cables on T/B an hold the bracket while you push the outer sheathing towards the firewall.Wifes at work be home in about 2 hours Ill go look at her car.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
jennifer

Originally Posted by RacinRob4
The only thing can think of is the bracket that holds the 2 cables onto the intake has moved to allowt slack to occur.Try putting the cables on T/B an hold the bracket while you push the outer sheathing towards the firewall.Wifes at work be home in about 2 hours Ill go look at her car.
Just tried doing so and the slack is still there

Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
circumventor
Banned

is it the throttle or cuise thats too long? cus the cruise on is always longer with more slack. or didja yall check to see if the cables on the right spot on the foot pedal? seems odd to have yall be able to replace an intake and have a stupid cable kick yalls butt.

Quick Reply: Need Help Connecting Throttle Cable