Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

97 rarely starts, and likes to stall out

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
19intrepid97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 rarely starts, and likes to stall out

My brother has a 97 intrepid with close to 200k miles on her. Car has one heck of an issue. The vehicle wont start about 25% of the time. The start is strong but the it just wont turnover. But then other times it'll just start right up. Oh and when it wont turnover, just miraculously after so many attempts it will. And when it wont start, there is a loud buzzing noise when you turn the key, coming from the drivers door.

But when you do get it running, when just sitting in one spot, every 45 seconds or so will bogg down, as if about to die, then quickly jump back to life. And then while driving, when you come to stops, it boggs down and usually jumps back to life. But lately, every once in a while, it'll bogg down at a stop, and totally die. Try and start it, and you get the problem mentioned above...

One time the car wouldn't start. My brother swapped the fuel injector and windshield wiper relays, and it started up. Another time she died coming to a stop at a left turn. Wouldn't start out of the 25 tries. Pushed her into the parking lot and then she started right up... lol

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 PM
19intrepid97

bump!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Jrunyard
Default lol

lol. That sounds like it has a mind of it's own. Have you looked at the spark plugs, wires, anything that could have failed in the car that could make the whole car not work? Little things could be the answer, but it could mostly be anything. Intrepids / Stratus's.. no matter how many times they rebuild or redesign them, they will always have a crap life. I've had to replace my tie bar because I went over a rail road tack at 20.. it just.. broke. lol

Quick Reply: 97 rarely starts, and likes to stall out