Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

should i or shouldnt i.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
jolesen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i or shouldnt i.

I am looking at the possible purchase of a 2002, 2.7L,Intrepid W/100,000mls. The car is as clean and in as good if not better condition than any other i have seen. (like new). The timing chain is broken. The seller claims when the car would not start, it broke. The car was not being drivin at the time. 1,000$ is the asking price. My question is, what is the worst case repair. Is it worth taking the chance not knowing what the full extent of the damage is. If i had to put another 1000 into it, i would be ok with that. Does it sound feesable. Any advise?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
jolesen

Is the 2.7L DOHC engine a zero clearance engine. Could the valves be bent?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM
CHollman82

First of all the timing chain will not break when the engine is not running... Secondly yes this is an "interference" style engine which means that when the chain breaks (or skips a few teeth, or goes out of time in any other way) the pistons and valves make contact and damage each other. Worst case repair is an engine swap, $2000-$3000.

In making your decision consider also the fact that most junkyards will pay around $500 for this car for scrap, running or not, so you're only really risking $500. I might do it but not if I was broke and the $1000 is the only money I had to spend, if you have a few thousand extra after the price of the vehicle it may be worth the risk to you, there is a good chance you will have to spend that much to rebuild or replace the engine, and like I said, worst case you junk it and are out $500.