Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage you guys pull off. i want the average mixed result, not your max on highway or anything. please include year, engine, driving style, and any performance mods.

myself i pull off an even 20mpg with a 2002 2.7L. my driving style is extremely aggressive. i floor it almost always, and when possible ill stay 100+mph. so 20mpg really isn't that bad. my only performance mod is a K&N filter.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas Mileage

I get about 27-29 mpg mixture of city and highway driving 30%/70% around 55-60 mph (on the highway part) and I get about 31-32 mpg on 5%/95% (65-70 mph) highway driving on my 1997 3.5 24v SOHC. My secret is the K&N drop in filter, 89 octane-10% ethanol at stations on the "Top Tier Gas" List http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html only, and lightly accelerating in my car so then the engine runs under 2k rpms at all times.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:31 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

those are some very nice numbers you are putting up with that engine. i wish we had ethanol mixtures up here where I'm at (Metro Detroit) but we don't. i have used ethanol before though and its nice.

o BTW welcome to the site. if you have any questions we will do our best to help you out.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Thank you for your welcome. It took me a while to get this kind of fuel economy. I used to commute about 400 miles a week. During this time, I needed something to keep my mind occupied, so I drove my car different ways to see the difference in my fuel economy results. I drove in rural, dead (population wise) areas which allowed me to accelerate as easily as I pleased. If you haven't noticed I'm very cheap! Sorry to hear they don't have Ethanol in your area. I get much better fuel economy with ethanol and my engine runs better as well. The best tools on the car to get that kind of fuel economy are the overdrive, tachometer, and the cruise control (on flat road conditions only). Keeping the auto transmission in overdrive as often as possible. Most of the roads I drive on are pretty flat, that makes a difference.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

as important as overdrive, tachometer, and cruise control are, i would have to say teh best way to save gas is discipline, which it sounds like you have. i lack it, but I'm still young and hope to develop it soon. i drive about 300-350 a week, but I'm a commuter to college. i wish we had teh ethanol up here, but i can't do anything about it. how does it help your engine run better?

Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Actually I'm also a college student, just one motivated to save gas because of a limited budget and living on campus. My engine just runs better when I fill it with ethanol than it does with just ordinary gas and gets better fuel mileage and my friends have found the same to be true.

Ethanol helps the engine with the fact that the fuel burns cleaner. It leaves less deposits. The different mechanics that I have talked to claim that it helps to clean the fuel injectors as well. I don't have the link anymore, but there was a study done on cars that could run on E85 (85% ethanol), such as certain versions of the 3.3 V6 equiped Intrepid, where they ran some on 100% gasoline and others on E85, and the cars that ran on E85 had much less wear on the engine.

Your right about the discipline part though. The tools of the overdrive, tachometer, and the cruise control will help you get that kind of fuel economy with the discipline. Edmunds did a fuel economy test where they tried different rumors on ways to save gas and the most effective way to get better fuel economy was driving it the car while being easy on the gas pedal.

When I have the money to waste. I intend to get myself a nice Hemi powered Ram (screw the gas mileage) and make up for lost fun!

Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
CudaGuy

I had a 2000 intrepid with a 2.7 i put 165,000 miles on it and traded it in. I still got 27mpg with Spark plugs that were almost completly gone. You just have to use cruise control and take it easy. OH.. and use Mobile One sythetic oil.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 AM
ramsportguy
Professional

Well my 1994 eagle vision with 168k on the odometer gets around 25-26 mpg and still runs great, except for the oil leaks it has.I got a reg paper air filter in it and use texaco high mileage oil and basicially keep the tire pressure to its accurate level and put fuel system in it and now and then get the fuel injectors cleaned.Other than that its bone stock and no mods to it at all(daily commute driver as i keep my 01 ram off the miles).The car has been in the family since day 1 and still a good running/driving car for a car thats almost 12 years old..

thanks
pat

Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

last hockey road trip we drove over 300 miles at or around 100MPH and i got 23MPG which is one of the best i have ever gotten. that includes 2 other hockey players and equipment.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
shnormo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

I get about 27-29 mpg mixture of city and highway driving 30%/70% around 55-60 mph (on the highway part) and I get about 31-32 mpg on 5%/95% (65-70 mph) highway driving on my 1997 3.5 24v SOHC. My secret is the K&N drop in filter, 89 octane-10% ethanol at stations on the "Top Tier Gas" List http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html only, and lightly accelerating in my car so then the engine runs under 2k rpms at all times.
Suprisingly you get better gas milage with Ethanol... USUALLY it decreases gas milage and it also gums up in your fuel system easier. As far as using E86, you shouldn't see any improvement over 82. E82 burns cooler and in winter it burns worse. The only good thing about E82 is it has more detergents. Higher octanes are for vehicles with higher compression and need cooler fuel to prevent detonation. Which in turns means it won't burn as complete in a lower compression engine... Stick to E82

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage