2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

1999 dodge stratus no power going up hill, sluggish after 30 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:48 AM
JBlake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge stratus no power going up hill, sluggish after 30 mph

Hello,
My family has a Dodge Stratus 1999. It worked fine till last year in October when it started having problem making it up hills.
It has a lot of problems making it up hills and inclines. Once it gets to 30 mph going up hill that is about it, it then starts slowing down and barely makes it up hills. I was told it may have been spark plugs. Had a whole new set, wires and new gaskets put on and is still the same.
It seems like something is clogged and will not let it get the power. The mechanic said when he took the compartment apart where the spark plugs go it all looked like new.
A family friend who was supposed to know about cars suggested it could be the EGR Valve. He put one on from the junkyard half a**ed and it was cold out so he broke some of the connecting hoses. Needless to say it did not help anything but now there is the sound of hissing because he did not replace the hoses.
Even with or without the hoses he broke it still does the same thing.

The mechanic who fixed the spark plugs really drilled me on price so I made him take it for a ride and he was/is clueless and suggested a new EGR Valve but I just do not think that is it.

I would like to have it fixed but this test this try that I cannot afford. Only if there was a qualified mechanic here in my area who was honest and trustworthy I would gladly pay him.

Any help or suggestions are tremendously appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

How many miles? Check engine light on? Clogged cat and/or O2 sensors come to mind.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:36 PM
JBlake

Originally Posted by jkeaton
How many miles? Check engine light on? Clogged cat and/or O2 sensors come to mind.

Thank you very much for reply. Has 170,000 miles. Was a work car drove highway every day, worked great, had regular maintenance. Check engine light is not on.
This all seemed to happen after the car ran out of gas at one point come to think of it.
What is a clogged cat? Do you know how many o2 sensors this car has? I know My intrepid has several.

Thank you in advance. It seems like it has power and wants to go but it seems bogged down or something. Local mechanics no help at all.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Clogged catalytic converter.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 PM
JBlake

Clogged catalytic converter.

Thank you Do you think that is what it might be? Do you know off hand home much it would cost to put a new catalytic converter on a 1999?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I do not know offhand. You can search some auto supply online places. Or take a trip to your local parts store. They would also know how many O2 sensors you have. Mind you, these are purely guesses without the vehicle in front of me. Could also be fuel related. How's the air filter?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:39 PM
JBlake

I do not know offhand. You can search some auto supply online places. Or take a trip to your local parts store. They would also know how many O2 sensors you have. Mind you, these are purely guesses without the vehicle in front of me. Could also be fuel related. How's the air filter?

Thank you kindly for your help. It is much appreciated. I am not sure about the air filter. I had thoughts about changing it as it seems like it would not be too hard to do as it looks like it sits right on top.
Do you know off hand is it fairly simple to change the air filter myself?
At least maybe try one avenue 1st.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge stratus no power going up hill, sluggish after 30 mph