Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

99 SE Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
klausenburg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SE Engine Trouble

My 99 SE doesn't start. It happened after a power boost from a portable power source. I checked the obvious, but no luck. The 20AMP INJ./COIL has no power at all. I'm assuming it has to be a relay somewhere controlling the power to this fuse?!
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
klausenburg
Default RE: 99 SE Engine Trouble

Somebody out there must have an idea what could be the problem?! I'm out of ideas - I spent a lot of hours on this, but no success.
Please guys - just send me your thoughts on this ...Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Intrepid Scarface

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/

Include ALL information relating to the problem. The people there will answer in a very timely fashion.

Looks like I'm advertising for the site...

Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

yea, I agree with scarface. What do you mean "I checked the obvious, but no luck"? This post is too vague. For a quick obvious answer to what you have posted, I would look at the fuseable link. If you want more detail in an answer, please post more in you question. I may not be the one that can help, but whoever it is will apperciate your giving of information upfront!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
klausenburg

Thanks! I guess you're right......
Basically one of my kids left the interior light on, which drained the battery - I used a portable power booster. The engine started righ away. I left it running for 15 minutes and shut it off. Tried to start it again 1 hour later - the battery was dead. Did the same thing again - power boost, but this time didn't have any luck. Didn't start - cranking, but didn't kick in. I figured it has to be the battery - so I purchased a new battery from Strauss Auto for $90 - put it in (what a hassle), but same story - crancking, without the happy start.
I checked the main fuses - all good. I found a 20AMP fuse called INJ. COIL - and it has no power on either terminal (checked with and without ingnition key on).
I'm assuming this is the spark coils fuse, so without power at this one - it will not start.....

Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

There is a usually a fuseable link (in the old days a pice of wire that would burn through very quickly in case of an overload. Nowadays its usualy a small square plug in type, sort of like a fuse). The link can be (and usualy is) in a wire bundle. The most common reason they burn out, it when someone trys to jump a car (or charge ect) and accidently puts the red on the neg post and the black on the red. Did this happen when you tried to charge the bat? All it takes is one spark and a milli second. Do you have the schematic for your car?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 AM
klausenburg

I'm sure I didn't reverse the polarity on the charger. The booster has a circuitry, so even if you reverse the polarity ignores it. I know this because that whas the first thing I thought.....
All the other fuses are OK - the only two without power are the 20AMP INJ/COIL and the 20AMP 02SSR - even though the fuses are good - no power to them at all.
I don't have schematic for the intrepid. I checked i the local parts store, but the only one they had was the regular engine(2.7) not the SE (3.2)

Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Unfortunately I own a 97 with a 3.5 and do not have the schematic you need. I purchased the complete service manual for all my autos because the schematics alone, which are totally complete as compared to the partials in a Chilton. There is a link at the top of the 2nd gen forum which links to a complete 2002 service manual. Here is a copy to the link:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_467728/tm.htm

I realize it's not your car or engine, but it may do the trick. BTW, I would suggest if you are planning to keep and do your own repairs, you buy one of the complete service manuals for your car (about $100) before they stop printing for your model. Once that happens, they will send you unbound papers that you have to put in a bunch or 3 ring binders!
Kurt

Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

do u have fuel pressure? do u have spark? U could have nuked the PCM with the Battery issue. DO u have SKIM the gray key?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
klausenburg

I have the fuel pump strating when ignition on. I think it's something around the ECM. I purchased a code reader, but the only code coming up is the Low Speed Fan Relay (P1490)......

Quick Reply: 99 SE Engine Trouble