Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

Location of the PCM ('96)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
XeoWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of the PCM ('96)

Hiyas,

I'm trying to find the location of the PCM on my 96 Intrepid (3.5L).

I'm getting a code 12 but the battery terminals are fine.
(code 12: Problem with the battery connection. Direct Battery Input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-on cycles).

So I wanted to see if this means that there's a connection to the PCM that is loose or something.

The engine is nearly stalling, not bogging down, but as if something was (nearly) stopping the engine for a split second... lights dim and you can hear the engine slow down really quick and briefly. There's no pattern.. just intermittently.

It isn't as bad after I've driven on the highway for about 15 mins. Much worse at startup.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

~

Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Location of the PCM ('96)

Mine ALWAYS has that code, even when it's running fine! I would look elsewhere for your malfunction.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 PM
sexymed

You might want to test your battery and alternator. It sounds *** if the battery may be going bad and the alternator is overworked at idle and can only catch up at higher rpms.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:49 PM
XeoWolf

Okay, little update...

Thermostat apparently needed changed. It over-heated badly on the way from work the other night so I changed the thermostat and added 50/50 coolant. No over-heating and no-stalls/surges.

Now why the cooling system would cause the stall/surges I have no clue. What is odd though is that the system was telling me that the engine was running too cold then it over-heats, with no leaks.

Anywho... all seems well now. I'm still thinking about trading it in for a newer model Intrepid though. (2001, 74k miles 2.7L $6,990.00 - I ran a carfax check on it and see no problems. This sound like a fair deal?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I would never get rid of my 3.5 for a 2.7. There are some features on the 3.5 that the 2.7 dosn't have, and the 3.5 isa better engine. As for the miles, when the time comes, rebuild the engine. How is the body on the 96? In my opinion, you would be paynig money for a downgrade! If you put $7K into the 96 (not that I think it needs that much money), you would have a new engine, trany, rebuilt suspension, new paint... the works, and be at zero miles on the new parts (not 74K). I also prefer the 1st gen body style (I believe someday it will be a collector car the the old Charger, &Dart).

I was just looking over some other posts, and this may help you make up your mind. I have seen many others like this (as for the pref of the 3.5 over the 2.7), but this is a new post you should see. I aslo here there is a sludge issue with the 2.7, and you need to ensure your oil changes are at or before 3K always.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_670526/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Location of the PCM ('96)