Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dodge Journey Performance help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
746KW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Journey Performance help

Greetings everyone.

I am postig this for an uncle of mine who has an 2009 Dodge Journey.
He is not interested in racing or nothing along those lines with this family vehicle. He is just concered with the performance of this new car he bought. He says that the Journey does not have good throttle responce at all. I can understand why....7 passanger vehicle with a 2.4L v4 engine..lol

I guess my question is, what can he upgrade to make the car lighter at throttle response?? He says it feels very heavy, specialy with his 4 kids and wife in it.

I suggested a K&N CAI and a programmer...But I don't know what programmer they make for these kind of vehicles.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

Its a 2.4 Journey. Didn't he drive it before he bought it? Sorry but there's not a lot he can do.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Caliberman71
Default 09' Journey

I have the 3.5L and as far as I can tell K&N make a filter for them 2.0L,2.4L, and 3.5L all use same filter. No CAI as of yet.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

You can do your own high-flow intake like I did. I have the 3.6L so I do not know how this would work for the 2.4.
Step 1: Get some three inch exhaust coupling pipe from your local car parts store. they are usually three or four inches long. While you are there, get one of the generic cone style air filters from K&N or whatever is on the shelf. Ensure that it fits the three inch piping and is not real long and that it comes with a clamp.
Step 2: Go toy your Journey and take out the entire air filter box and snorkel. Three screws if I remember correctly and lifts right up and out. Also remove the box top from the rubber intake piping.
Step 3: Insert half of the coupling pipe into the rubber air intake piping and clamp down using the original clamp. Place the cone filter on the other end and clamp down using the clamps that are typically provided.

Your journey now has more air to breathe, a little cooler intake, and you should now feel some additional get-up-and-go. Plus it now has a bit of a growl to it.

OR the easy way is to just take that filter box out and remove the snorkel in the front. It is very restrictive. You can also enlarge the hole or add more holes by adding additional holes around the lower part of the box. Either use your current regular air filter or replace it with a high flow style K&N or other. This will still add some pep and growl to your journey.

Enjoy!!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

CAI alone will increase RWHP by about 5 HP on a V6 with around 3.6L of displacement. This will only yield about a 3 HP increase on an inline 4 cylinder unless you increase the size of the throttle body. Not enough to make a difference. IMO most manufacturers place entry level engines in vehicles that do not have adequate power for the weight of the vehicle such as putting a 3.7L V6 in the full size Ram pickups.

IMO the 2.4L I4 has no business in a 7 passenger cross-over vehicle that weighs in at close to 4000 lbs. I hate to say it, but he should have driven a V6 for comparison purposes before he purchased...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

I completely agree. Just throwing out the options.

Quick Reply: Dodge Journey Performance help