Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dry dipstick on a new Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM
celticram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry dipstick on a new Journey

Hi Guy’s

I bought a new Dodge Journey 3 months ago. Last night a fierce burning smell appeared inside the car while driving. The car start chugging. Pulled over and noticed the temperature of the hood was way too hot to be normal. Let the engine cool down for 2 hours and checked oil, coolant etc…. Dipstick was dry!! Looks like there was NO oil, but oil warning light had not come on the dash. There doesn’t appear to be signs of an oil leak inside the engine compartment or on my driveway.

I had it towed back to the main dealer today. The tow truck operator confirmed there appeared to be no oil. However, the main dealer said there was plenty of oil in it when they checked the dipstick.

This is my first Dodge car. Could a dry dipstick be possible on a Dodge Journey? (I doubt it!) Could the engine burn off most of it’s oil in the first 3 months?

I need to go talk to the main dealer tomorrow. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope, if you ain't got oil on the dipstick, you ain't got oil (or enough anyway) in the crankcase. Never heard of the dummy light not coming on though.

Sounds to me like there was initially not enough oil in it (and the stealership is now trying to cover their a$$) or you have a head gasket/head issue.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
jessicalynnlopez
Default Dry Dipstick

Celticram - Just wondering what the outcome was with your issue. I have a 2009 Dodge Journey and the same thing is happening to me right now. My car started making a noise from under the hood when I was driving. I checked the oil and my dipstick is completely dry. I do not have a leak and my oil light didn't come on in the truck either. I am bringing my it to the dealer tomorrow morning. And my last oil change was right from the dealership.

Last edited by jessicalynnlopez; 10-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
hollygirl
Default My 2009 Journey drinks oil!

Beware!
I have read numerous posts of how many fellow Journey owners are stuck with a new vehicle that drinks oil! I thought I was the only one out there. Honestly...I'm fed up with the reply from my dealer that this is okay according the the manufacturer. This car uses 1 full qt. of oil every 1,000 miles! HELP! We work hard to own a nice car...and this is the thanks we get for buying a Dodge Journey!
I'm fed up and heading to the dealer to figure this out.
Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
metaldad
Professional

interesting............. i'll have to check the level on my '12 journey. just turned 1000 miles today

Quick Reply: Dry dipstick on a new Journey