Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Help - New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Trekie2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - New Guy

Hi everyone, new guy here....so be gentle!!! I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for....or maybe I missed it...but I have a 2009 Journey AWD 3.5 and like many others the front pads are gone...I am moving houses so don't have many of my tools available, but can get anything I need from work. So I am wondering if anyone knows the front caliber bolt sizes? I have read that they are hex heads, and other sites that they are Allen head bolts....can someone please clarify? Also what size are they? I want to bring the necessary tools home from work. Also this seems like a fairly straight forward R&R or am I missing something and special tools are required?

Thanks in advance everyone and sorry if it's a silly question.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I believe they are either 15 or 17 mm hex head bolts, If you have a set of metric sockets, say like from 10 to 20 mm, you should have what you need. Nothing special about replacing the pads, except you need a tool to seat the piston (you dont need one of those that turns as it presses, the front ones just press in). I changed mine (along with the rotors) in about 1/2 hour.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Trekie2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jkeaton!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles you have? Dodge extended the Journey's Front brake waranty to 3yr/36K miles.

I think the Caliper Bolt size is either a 12mm or 13mm, don't remember exactly. The Bracket to Knuckle Bolt should be 18mm. And of course, you need a C-clamp to return the Caliper.
If you are doing Rear Brake, you will need a Caliper retracting tool for Intergrated Parking brake.

Please don't Pad slap ur Journey, or else you are Asking for problems. Our front Rotors are VERY crappy to begin with.