Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

09 journey issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
lost_punk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 journey issues

Greating every one. my first offical post. i have 2 questions. first is a problem that has been solved but i'm not sure if its right 2nd is my current problem.

1st. We bought our 09 sxt AWD last march. had some wierd vibration/clunking type noises when we bought it but the dealership didn't hear anything nor could they find anything wrong after 3-4 trips to the shop. we were basically told it was a new car to us and makes new noises. and with the AWD it can make some wierd things happens while turning. noises got louder and then BANG!. very loud snapping noise then metal on metal. limped car to dealership to have transfer case replaced and rear vicous coupling replaced. when asked how this problem started i was told because we didn't rotate the tires enough. we only put 10,000 miles on the car at this point. ended up having to put 4 tires on it as well so the problem didn't happen again. i threw a HUGE fit and dealership picked it all up but i still have VERY hard time believing that tires being unevenly warn caused this problem.

problem number 2. there is a weird grinding noise when stopping. doesn't sound like brakes however. the noise only comes as the car stops. if i slam the brakes i can get it to make the noise at about 2mph untill the car settles. if i come to a very slow stop and the car doesn't lurch at all no noise. if i do a rolling stop where the car never fully stops its fine too. any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
bigtsr
Captain

With regard to to tire rotation ,a AWD car really tends to require
attention this area in as much you should not neglect the procedure
nor should you mix tires with regard to tread/style/size.
It's an '09 so it may have been on the road since '08 owned by
someone who didn't do tire rotation,you bought someone elses
problem.
The '09 DJs were notable for their brake problems i.e. wear/noisey.
Again previous owner may have not cared to do maintenance.
Noise could be a wear and tear factor or just the need for cleanup
and lubrication of guide pins/anti vibration components.
Find a GOOD brake shop.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
lost_punk

dealership looked at the brakes and said they had rust spots. said they ground the rust off and charged us 90$. noise still there. service mananger called a week later(today) said he was going over our file and saw the mechanic didn't see anything wrong and that he was telling us he ground down rust. dealership now putting new ceramic brakes on all 4 wheels at no cost to us with loaner car.

Quick Reply: 09 journey issues